WD Shipping 2 TB 7200 RPM Caviar Black HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]Nice, yes but cheap, no way! You can get 2x1TB WD black for less than 220$ and that would be my choice anytime, because it is safer in case of disk failure.[/citation]

how? you have TWICE the chance of loosing HALF the data.

I don't know about you, but i'm rather fond of ALL my data.

there are advantages of 1 drive vs 2 half size drives as well that make the price justifiable:
half the power, half the noise, half the weight and drive bay slots used, and most importantly, you don't have to bother organizing your data across two partitions.

I was just getting used to the idea of spending $300AUS on the green power one. but as it would be my main drive I now really want this! but the price!! but I'm not going to say its too expensive just cause I don't want to pay that much for one.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]how? you have TWICE the chance of loosing HALF the data.I don't know about you, but i'm rather fond of ALL my data.there are advantages of 1 drive vs 2 half size drives as well that make the price justifiable:half the power, half the noise, half the weight and drive bay slots used, and most importantly, you don't have to bother organizing your data across two partitions.I was just getting used to the idea of spending $300AUS on the green power one. but as it would be my main drive I now really want this! but the price!! but I'm not going to say its too expensive just cause I don't want to pay that much for one.[/citation]
Anything that I deemed valuable, I would ALWAYS have a two or more drive setup. When it comes to the home computer user, RAID 1 or even RAID 10 is where I place my faith. If you only have one drive, and it fails, there is no backup for you period - your data is gone.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]how? you have TWICE the chance of loosing HALF the data.I don't know about you, but i'm rather fond of ALL my data..[/citation]
Now That is a strange logic!! but I would put it in different approach: In your case it is everything or nothing.
In my approach: it is everything or half the things.
and since you chose Black then the power should be your least concern besides we don't know yet the power consumption figures of the new drive and the same thing can be said about the noise levels. and about the weight!! (nice one!), and regarding the bay slots I would be delighted to fill a wasted space!

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Anyone else thinks we're slowly getting ripped off by hdd manufacturers with their ever increasing hdd capacities? 2TB is measured in decimal. In binary, this is roughly equivalent to 1.82 TiB so that's about 180 GiB short from this 2TB that the drive is claiming to have. It might not sound like much but 180 GiB could well be someone's whole hard disk capacity. Imagine in a couple of years time when they roll out a 20TB hdd.........

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I used to believe HDDs were solid, reliable products. In the last 3 years I've had 4 HDD failures across my 5 computers. One 2yr old laptop HDD failure, one external USB drive failure, and 3 internal HDDs. The latest one was an 750gb add-on only 3 months old. I wouldn't trust 2tb of my data on one of those things. Better off to buy an external home server with RAID and WHS to put your valuable data on, and have your PC run with a single fast, or stripped RAID array or SSD. Anything of value mirrored RAID + imaged on another drive.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Cletus_slackjawd[/nom]I used to believe HDDs were solid, reliable products. In the last 3 years I've had 4 HDD failures across my 5 computers. One 2yr old laptop HDD failure, one external USB drive failure, and 3 internal HDDs. The latest one was an 750gb add-on only 3 months old. I wouldn't trust 2tb of my data on one of those things. Better off to buy an external home server with RAID and WHS to put your valuable data on, and have your PC run with a single fast, or stripped RAID array or SSD. Anything of value mirrored RAID + imaged on another drive.[/citation]

Wow, bad luck. I've never had any actual HDD failures. I've had one that's near failure, but it's still workin'.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Just got a 1TB drive, and I've already filled >35% of it... so this does seem quite appetizing.

However, it would be nice if the $/gig ratio was on par with 1TB versions.

[citation][nom]single_platter_fanboi[/nom]500gb single platter version, please...[/citation]

Just thinking that. Would likely be cheap for then to produce, and reliable, thus making great reliable cheap raid setups. =D

storageinventor

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
No pythy, the hdd manufacturers are not trying to rip you off. 1 TB mean 1 trillion bytes (they even print it on the drive for those like you who refuse to acknowledge the SI definitions and insist that 1 TB means 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024).

Personally, I wish the drive manufacturers had abandoned the SI units years ago and started calling the 500 GB drive the 500 billion-byte drive and the 2 TB drive the 2 trillion-byte drive. It would have saved them from having to print that little message on every drive and spared them from a couple of frivolous lawsuits from morons who insisted that they were being deceived.

G

3TB - 2 x 1.5 TB Seagate (ST31500341AS) : $240
2TB - WD (WD2001FASS) : $299

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]aahh[/nom]3TB - 2 x 1.5 TB Seagate (ST31500341AS) : $2402TB - WD (WD2001FASS) : $299[/citation]
Remember not to use the drives for anything important if you pick two seagate ones.

G

Yes, but does the 1.5TB Seagate top every benchmark..? Yea, think I'll stick with WD.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]zeb7s[/nom]Yes, but does the 1.5TB Seagate top every benchmark..? Yea, think I'll stick with WD.[/citation]
If you consider performance > reliability, then take the seagate. I'd take a wd or samsung while you reinstall for the third time on an rma'ed seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.