[SOLVED] WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD on Z87 mobo

notrust81

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Will this ssd work on a Z87 Asrock oc formula?
If i place this in a pcie slot, will i get the same speed as a NVMe slot?

Thanks

Solution
Not directly. Z87 OC Formula MOBO does not have M.2 2280 drive slots. Also for consumer needs you can get any fast SATA SSD and be happy. Though if you want to purchase NVMe drive for future build, get PCIe x4 extension card for M.2 NVMe/SSD drives. Like this one.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok thats good to know. I was looking for an extra ssd drive, so it would be no problem for me. The NVMe are allot on sale at the moment, thats why om looking for this ssd.
Are you planning on doing a major PC upgrade in the very near future?
If not, just get a regular SATA III SSD. Less hassle and cost, near the same performance.

What do you use this system for?

notrust81

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I want to use this ssd mostly for gaming. And backups.

The problem. Is i have only 4 sata ports that are working. And they are all taken.

I'm not planning on upgrading in the near future. I have a i7 4970k with rtx 2080 super, still running good.

Yes, you don't require NVMe if you are not planning major upgrade of your system (basically a new computer) in near future. For gaming and web/office tasks good SATA-3 SSD is more than enough. And will be, RTX IO and similar AMD alternative (will appear, I'm 200% sure about that) for DirectStorage are planed to work only over PCIe 4.0 which your MOBO does not have. Obviously you can buy and install M.2 NVMe drive through extension card. However as people said, it is a waste of resources in name of "I have NVMe drive in my PC" (weird finger moves here).