[SOLVED] WD_Black SN850 NVMe SSD No Longer Shows up in Device Manager

May 9, 2021
I purchased installed and partitioned the drive about a month ago and have been using it no problem. I only have one game on it but I play it very often. When I tried today it had an error locating the program so I checked my drives and the NVMe no longer shows under "Devices and Drives" in "this PC" nor does it show in the "Device Manager". When I restarted and go into BIOS I can see the NVMe drive there but still not at all in windows.

Parts List
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite MOBO
  • Ryzen 7 5800x CPU
  • Nvidia GTX 1070
  • Samsung 750 EVO (boot drive)
  • Samsung 850 EVO
  • Toshiba X300 (5tb hdd)
  • WD Blue (1 tb hdd)

I have tried uninstalling the Standard AHCI ATA Controllers in device manager and rebooting the system to no effect

I have had no major incidents, changes, installations or any other problems with the PC between when the drive showed up and was working fine and when it didn't.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you

Solution
I have tried uninstalling the Standard AHCI ATA Controllers in device manager and rebooting the system to no effect
I wouldn't do this, AHCI is what is used for SATA drives. You have a Toshiba X300 (5TB HDD) Sata drive and a WD Blue (1 TB HDD). You may or may not run into issues with these devices too.

As suggested above, try the other M.2 socket, otherwise I would suspect its the M.2 drive that is failing.
Any drive can fail at any time.
I wouldn't do this, AHCI is what is used for SATA drives. You have a Toshiba X300 (5TB HDD) Sata drive and a WD Blue (1 TB HDD). You may or may not run into issues with these devices too.

As suggested above, try the other M.2 socket, otherwise I would suspect its the M.2 drive that is failing.
Any drive can fail at any time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS