WD's Livewire Uses AC Outlets for Networking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Powerline networking RULES totally. I'm in a 1930s block and get 200MBps constantly. It's awesome for watching DiVx direct on the TV. Also tested in an 1800's pub (yeah, with 40s wiring ;) ;)) and get around 160. It's awesome. Never going back to wireless for office / media.

snakeye2669

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I just jump into Powerline network device. I pick up a Zyxel PLA407 Homeplug AV 200 Mbps Powerline for $80 buck, $20 buck rebate at amazon.com. Powerline network been out for awhile, but now seem to be maturing. It listed as Homeplug av, which is a 200mbps standard and my model had noise filter. I read a article on smallnetbuilder.com about these devices and it seems promising. For me it works very well. I run one end to a router on the first floor and the other in a second floor bedroom with a 8 port switch connecting my computer and nas. In less then a few minute plugin the two adapter, I was watched HD online content with no problems.

jeffjwatts

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I've been using this for 7 or 8 years and it's not for every situation, but it's great for some. I've run ethernet to the basic locations, but I keep one bridge hooked to a power line. If the wife wants to take her laptop around the side of the house she takes one of the bridges hooks it up to the outside power outlet and has a strong signal that doesn't fade out like wireless. You can take one side of the bridge to any spot that has a plug. It's great around a big house where wireless has a lot of blind spots.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
All the different offerings of the same thing omit this doesn't work well if at all if the AC to network adapters are on a different circuit breaker. Yes they work fine if they are on the same breaker but if you are planning on beating the distance limitation of wireless, chances are real good that both end points are not on the same circuit. I thought I was going to get out of trenching and running PVC conduit into my garage for network connectivity with one of these setups and it failed. Worked great in the same room but what is the point in that?

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I wish there was a tester that could tell me if this would give usable speeds from the room with the router to the room I would need to network. I've heard good things and bad things about this tech for years and it all came down to how good your home's wiring is.

G

How does this technology prevent my data showing up on my neighbor's wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.