"We Can't Log Into Your Account" Mess

VaultTechy

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
It's the same error that's been occuring since the anniversary update but this machine only picked it up recently. The user said it was acting "strange" in the days before it pulled this stunt (hanging on restarts, not opening programs when clicked) so, for what that's worth.

I was able to make a new user account and give it admin access, and that account doesn't have any issues but for obvious reasons that's not ideal (this user has some ~2TB of files associated with the old account)

First thing I tried doing was updating Windows, but the updater hits 9%, hangs for five-ten minutes and then gives up consistently. (Last successful update was "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB199986)" on 10/27 and most recently attempted was "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3200970)" on 11/14)

So naturally I decide to go stop and start the Update process, but I find the keys are greyed out. I decided to do my stop and start manually through regedit, but under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows I don't find a folder for WindowsUpdate.

I tried Microsoft's "Windows Update Troubleshooter" and it claimed to have helped replace some corrupted info but updates continue to fail.

Any guesses? Suggestions?

PC is running Windows 10 Home Edition, passes scans from BitDefender and MalwareBytes, shows good drive health from Speedfan

Update - Gave SCF and DISM a shot, no change - also tried to reset the PC and got an error there! Whatever the issue is, it's resilient.

For reference, I'm getting error 0x80073712 when trying updater, SCF and DISM give the all-clear and PC reset provided a generic "Some files are missing" error.

Solution
You know you can copy the older user folders onto new one in c:/users/username. I had similar problem with my admin and set up a new local account, and it only takes a short while to set up the few programs that need it, it has access to everything installed

Otherwise, try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its finished, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

might fix some more corruption if you have any.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You know you can copy the older user folders onto new one in c:/users/username. I had similar problem with my admin and set up a new local account, and it only takes a short while to set up the few programs that need it, it has access to everything installed

Otherwise, try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its finished, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

might fix some more corruption if you have any.

Solution