[SOLVED] "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing Changes."

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hello, I have purchased a new ASUS laptop with Windows 10 and after trying to update my Windows 10, it gives me the error messages after trying to apply an update with the words "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing Changes.".

Then it turns off, turns on again, displays same message, I wait another 5-10 Minutes, restart and it goes back to my desktop.

Any clue what to do and how to fix it? I wasnt able to find solutions online.

I also do not believe that I have restore point. At least I never manually made one.

Solution
It did it once and then restarted but I am trying manually to install it but doesnt work.
Version 1903
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
put USB into pc that won't update
Open file explorer and go to directory of the USB and run setup.exe
this will offer to update the current PC
let it, this will update you to version 2004 and bypass whatever patch won't install now.

that guys steps are missing a lot of steps inbetween :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it do that every startup or it only did it once? If only once, that is how it should work if it fails an update for any reason, it rolled the update back. Although it should have restarted itself so it didn't quite get it right.

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version number are you on?

Avaninja

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
Try and boot into safe mode with networking using f12 or f10. if that doesn't work interrupt the boot 3 times and it will start advanced options. Go to control panel, navigate to programs and features, and click "installed updates." Uninstall the newest update and then interrupt the boot 3 times again, and select "boot windows normally."

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Does it do that every startup or it only did it once? If only once, that is how it should work if it fails an update for any reason, it rolled the update back. Although it should have restarted itself so it didn't quite get it right.

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version number are you on?

It did it once and then restarted but I am trying manually to install it but doesnt work.
Version 1903

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Try and boot into safe mode with networking using f12 or f10. if that doesn't work interrupt the boot 3 times and it will start advanced options. Go to control panel, navigate to programs and features, and click "installed updates." Uninstall the newest update and then interrupt the boot 3 times again, and select "boot windows normally."

I lost you in the first sentence. Once I start in safe mode I should keep pressing f12 or f10? And what do you mean with interrupting? Shut off?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Version 1903
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
let it, this will update you to version 2004 and bypass whatever patch won't install now.

Solution

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019

I created a USB media tool, inserted it into my laptop, started setup.exe. Basically pressed next until I reached a window saying:

"Ready to install. To recap, you've chosen:

Install Windows 10 Home Single Language
Keep Personal Files and Apps."

I am not sure if that is right? Windows 10 Home sounds like I am installing a totally different OS rather then just updating it?

Any clues?

Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
It should only install updates so that must be the version you have now
that sounds about right
To install feature updates of Windows 10, do the following:
  1. If necessary for your device, connect the USB OTG cable and/or the USB hub.
  2. Connect both the USB flash drive with the Windows 10 installation files and the other empty USB flash drive.
  3. Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
  4. Select the Keep personal files and apps option to only update your system.
  5. If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the Choose another drive or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
  6. Select your empty USB flash drive to serve as temporary storage.
  7. Click Refresh.
  8. Click Install.
  9. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

Note: Some devices may only have a single Micro-USB port that is used for both charging and data transfer, which can make the battery-draining update process somewhat tricky when you also need that port to connect your USB drives. Your device will reboot during the installation process, after the first reboot you will no longer need either flash drive or the USB hub to finish, so you can unplug those and connect your power cable. Of course, if your PC has a dedicated power port, you can just leave everything (power included) plugged in throughout the whole process.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-any-major-update-windows-10-low-storage-devices#:~:text=Connect both the USB flash,to only update your system.