We Want YOU: Call for Community Reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kin3000

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
You guys should probably add:

- Be able to run spell check and review your work before publishing.

Maybe we'll get some spelling/grammar error free news articles this way. I'm not saying all articles have errors in them, but the amount that do is proportionally higher than what should be acceptable for a professional news reporting site.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]kin3000[/nom]You guys should probably add:- Be able to run spell check and review your work before publishing.Maybe we'll get some spelling/grammar error free news articles this way. I'm not saying all articles have errors in them, but the amount that do is proportionally higher than what should be acceptable for a professional news reporting site.[/citation]

I was soooooo looking for an error in your post but found none, :( kudos!

/start brown-nosing

As for the rest of you who are complaining about working for free... Really???

I don't think you'd be too sad if the next COD title was free to download or perhaps all the "free" music people download these days...

Just saying, 3 hours a week to help out a community that gives plenty and possibly expand your horizons at the same time... sign me up pronto!

/end brown-nosing

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]snoogins[/nom]Well here is your chance - all of you who complain/critique/whine about the articles in the comments.[/citation]

This is for the forums, not the main site. So for the vast majority of Toms visitors, who do not visit the forums, your work will largely be invisible unless you find something juicy enough for the editors to rewrite and post in their news feed.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I was soooooo looking for an error in your post but found none, kudos!

Guess ill have some fun with it then, heh.. 1 maybe..

I'm not saying all articles have errors in them, but the amount that do

Now i could be wrong... English comp was quite a few years ago for me, however im pretty sure you technically arn't supposed to use a comma before "but"..

=/... sigh i hate grammar police.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You can use a comma before but it's usually to seperate between two sentences though. With that said I think people who whine about grammar and other stupid shit. Simply are to anal or have way to much time on their hands.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]oxxfatelostxxo[/nom]Guess ill have some fun with it then, heh.. 1 maybe..Now i could be wrong... English comp was quite a few years ago for me, however im pretty sure you technically arn't supposed to use a comma before "but"..=/... sigh i hate grammar police.[/citation]

Wasn't going to say anything as the guy's post was mostly error-free. Since you guys insist at poking at it:

1) "Amount" is wrong as it is used with uncountable items, which "articles" is not. The proper term is "number."

2) "Error free" should be hyphenated like I have above.

You can use a comma before words like but/and if they join independent clauses (clauses that can stand alone as a sentence) OR if the sentence could be misread without one due to how it's phrased.

Anyway, I'm not here to nitpick on grammar--only posted since that guy was curious.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
To be honest, I'd love to have a job like journalist for a tech publication (even if I did junk articles), but my writing style and grammar are awful compared to a journalism school graduate.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]Wow! Tom's gets to make money off of content they did not pay for! What a deal![/citation]
People post hundreds of times in the forum every day. They are hardly making extra income by having some of the garbage replaced by useful posts.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]snoogins[/nom]Well here is your chance - all of you who complain/critique/whine about the articles in the comments.[/citation]Yeah, I can't wait to see this. lol

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]You lost me @ "volunteer"[/citation]
I 100% agree! I'm a volunteer husband and father of two, but that is the end of my volunteer work. They, and work, keep me far to busy for free work.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hey, I'm looking for someone to volunteer to work my 40 hours a week for me. I will pay you nothing and expect my full pay at the end of the week. Please email me if you are interested. Thanks!

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Everyone is complaining about working for free, yet they're on a FORUM, a place where people provide free tech support. Hmm..[/citation]

It's one thing to do it leisurely. It's another to be required to do X amount on a regular basis. This isn't just come here and post. This is going out there to find news for them on a regular basis. Most folks here come here BECAUSE this is where we get our tech news, so we're not being asked to do something we'd already be doing anyway. If Tom's wants free help, they'll get what they pay for on average because pros don't have the free time to work for free.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]If Tom's wants free help, they'll get what they pay for on average because pros don't have the free time to work for free.[/citation]
You're working too much if you don't even have 25 minutes of free time in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.