Question Weak connection after transition to fibre optic ?

Jun 7, 2023
Hello, I recently got the fibre optic installed in my house (I'm from France and my operator is Free (it's the name)), and even if my connection is better in a general way (less ping and better stability) and that my Upload speed went better, my download speed went weaker, I went from 45Mbps with my VDSL to 25Mbps with the fiber (My Upload went from 7 to 40Mbps with the fiber), i'm using Wifi because I can't do it in another way, I'm also using 2 wifi repeater (who are also in 802.11AC with a maximum speed of 1200Mbps), (not because i'm far from my box but because there is a concrete wall between the box and my PC), There is a computer wired to my box which have 800Mbps of Download and 700Mbps of Upload
I hadn't any issues before, no loss, no speed difference between my computer who is using Wifi and the one who is directly wired to the box (both were at 45/7)

I wonder of where it could come and if someone could help me ?
Thank you

probably the new viber router is not that good in wi-fi than your old one

did you update the repeaters firmware ?

check if you wi-fi connection of the PC is set to private and not public

which free box are you using?

Jun 7, 2023
probably the new viber router is not that good in wi-fi than your old one

did you update the repeaters firmware ?

check if you wi-fi connection of the PC is set to private and not public

which free box are you using?
I have the same router that I had with my VDSL (the name of it is the "Freebox Delta", which was designed specifically for a fiber usage, but I was using it with a VDSL 'cause I couldn't get the fiber installed before (the box can get up to 8000Mbps in download)
and my repeaters are also designed to work with this box (Wi-Fi Pop Repeaters)
So i mean, nothing changed in my installation and everything was specially designed for the Fiber.

And yes i'm in private,
I could update the repeaters but not sure if it's useful since they're 2 months old ?

why didn´t you get the wifi 6 version?

did you reset your freebox delta before connecting to fiber?

did you disconnect the ADSL cable?

please update :)
did you use the repeaters with the VDSL as well?
reset the repeaters as well

What speed did you expect. You are not going to get anywhere close to the speed of the wired pc. Even if you used wifi in the same room as the router you might if you were lucky get 300mbps. This tends to be worse the farther away you are and tends to be made even worse with repeaters in the path. Using the repeater you have even in very good conditions you might get 75mbps.

Sounds like your main problem is concrete walls and there really is no wifi solution for that. A repeater needs to be placed where it can get good signal but still be able to provide strong signal to the remote location. This tends to not exist. On one side of the wall the repeater gets good signals but can't send it though the concrete. On the other side of the wall it can now send signal to the remote room but it can not get good signal from the router.

The only real solution is to find a way to get a hole through the wall. A wire of some kind tends to be the best.

If you had ethernet in the remote room you would not be here obviously. The other options are moca if you have coax wire in both rooms or you can consider powerline networks. Moca will give you close to gigabit speed. Powerline networks are slower but many people get over 100mbps.

As to why the old units worked better it is hard to say. Could it selected different wifi channels or maybe it just doesn't run as well with your repeater as the old router. It can also be small difference in how the antennas in box are placed and how the interact with your house. There is not way you can not predict how any router will run in any particular house. This is why you see reviews on every router with people saying it great and other saying it is crap. You can't really trust any reviews you see either because almost all are just testing in the authors house which will never be the same as your house.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TRENDING THREADS