[SOLVED] Weak LTE signal

Apr 16, 2020
Hello all,
I have a problem getting good signal to my wireless 4g/LTE router. I live in a rural area and i guess there arent many towers in my area so i get weak 4gLTE signal on my router. When i say weak i mean the speed will vary between 0.5-5 mbps and sometime no signal at all. I learned that puting the router right against the window will boost the signal it is picking up but not by much. So i thought I would need to put antennas on it since it only came with internal ones. So i removed antennas from old router and put them on the new but nothing changed.. Do i need to do anythin to configure them? Because i entered the router settings menue and didnt find andything regarding antennas.
Another suggestion was to put antennas on the roof and run cables down to the router which is inside the house? Is this applicable? Can i do it with homemade stuff without having to buy expensive gadgets??
Let me know what you think

• Router model: Huawei B612s-51d
  • Gadgets connected to router usually: 4 phones 1 tv 1 laptop.. But rarely all using at the same time

Solution
The general problem with a outdoor antenna is the cost of the cable going to the antenna. Microwave frequencies lose a lot and the cable that has less loss is very expensive. Look at lmr600 at a very minimum. You would have to make sure you get a connector that connects to your router. They likely must be connected inside the case the antenna connections you see for most these devices are wifi not the lte radio

This actually gets complex quickly. Most LTE uses MIMO so you actually need 2 antenna mounted 90 degress off axis.

You also need to get a antenna for the proper frequencies. This tends to take some research because it depends on what the ISP has a license to use on a particular tower.

Then finally it is...
The general problem with a outdoor antenna is the cost of the cable going to the antenna. Microwave frequencies lose a lot and the cable that has less loss is very expensive. Look at lmr600 at a very minimum. You would have to make sure you get a connector that connects to your router. They likely must be connected inside the case the antenna connections you see for most these devices are wifi not the lte radio

This actually gets complex quickly. Most LTE uses MIMO so you actually need 2 antenna mounted 90 degress off axis.

You also need to get a antenna for the proper frequencies. This tends to take some research because it depends on what the ISP has a license to use on a particular tower.

Then finally it is not really legal to use external antenna. The rule in the USA says you can do it with the vendor approval. Problem is no vendor is going to give you the paperwork that allows you to use the them. The vendor as part of their license must ensure they do not violate those terms. Pretty much the only legal way to have a device with external antenna is on that the ISP sells or installs.

Solution