Weak WLAN on a rather new computer.

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Greetings all,

mid Dec last year I bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. Did not come with WLAN, so I bought a TP Link stick. All worked well until about three weeks ago.

At best WLAN is really weak. Takes a donkeys age for pages to load, sometimes they are fast, but then I loose connectivity. At worst I have a day where it is on and off all bloody day. I am having to restart the computer 2 or 3 times per day.

At first I thought it had something with SpyHunter and DNS, but I removed SpyHunter and no change.

I have few programmes on my computer. Very few as I use it for work and music.

One other item of note. In the past week, Ive encountered the blue screen of death with Wdiwifi.sys file as the villian.

The company I bought it from wants it returned and could take 2 weeks. I cannot afford to be without a computer for two weeks.

Ideas?

Cheers!
~ Hondo

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Barty,

Tried something, but while seems a solution has left me slightly confused. I was contemplating doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10. It`s the weekend and I can imagine better things to do on a sunny day. Right then, I decided to delete the drivers and configuration programme for TPLINK. Searched using me smartphone and downloaded the V2 driver for the WLAN stick, moved it to the desktop and unzipped the file.

Before writing further, the computer came with 2 - 3,0 USB ports on the front and 4 - 2,0 on the back. When I initally tried to install the WLAN stick in Dec, it would not work on the 3,0 USB, only a 2,0 USB port.

So, I installed the new driver and plugged in the WLAN stick in a 2,0 USB. The install programme failed to see it. Moved it to a 3,0 USB and it was found!

To make matters more odd, while setting up, the computer found the router, but indicated there was no Internet connectivity. I noticed that the WLAN symbol was gone and is now the Ethernet symbol. But I do have a connection.

Does all this seem correct to you? Lad, I`m a 52 years old leather worker. I know little of computers.

Cheers!
~ Hondo

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
PLEASE ADVISE! Need some help on this

Seems the problem still exists. This morning, the system tray is now showing the WLAN symbol once again. However the signal still comes and goes. The last time it failed I looked at Network and Internet Setup. I noticed that on the left side of the screen, both the WLAN and Flight Mode symbols were missing.

Ethernet, Status, etc., were all there. This is really troubling and I could use some assistance on how to fix this.

Cheers!