Web Browser Grand Prix 2: Running The Linux Circuit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipUp

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

No problems with page display or printing in Opera here, I'm afraid. On the other hand, Chrome consistently crashes when I try to use Gmail... Yay.

SlipUp

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Opera Turbo makes page loading much faster on slow connections. 2Mbps? Why on earth would you want to use Opera Turbo on that? That's not what it was designed for.

The point is that performance matters, especially as applications become more complex.

SlipUp

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

No, Opera beats everyone else at low RAM systems. Remember, Opera runs fine on mobile phones Firefox could never dream of running on. Firefox's lowest system requirements are miles higher than even Opera's recommended memory requirements for mobile phones!

Opera dynamically adapts memory use, unlike Firefox.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Speed has never been as important as webpage functionality/stability. None are completely compatible with the Acid tests, and all have had major memory leaks at some point or other. Ever wonder why your PC eventually crashes if you leave a bunch of tabbed webpages up? It probably had nothing to do with viruses. Like others have said time and again, miniscule milliseconds don't make a darn bit of difference. It is IRRELEVANT.

swyn01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Regarding the memory section and comparing Windows to Linux: aren't all the Linux browsers 64bit and the Windows 7 32bit? Wouldn't this account for at least some of the discrepancies between the two operating systems (64bit applications should always use more memory for the same task)?

This probably should be mentioned in the memory usage section as a probable reason for such a large discrepancy between the two OSes and really is just a fact of life when using a 64 bit OS without 32 bit emulation (Windows 7 used was 64 bit, but the web browers are 32 bit. Linux does not have this ability and can only run 64 bit software).

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]swyn01[/nom]Regarding the memory section and comparing Windows to Linux: aren't all the Linux browsers 64bit and the Windows 7 32bit? Wouldn't this account for at least some of the discrepancies between the two operating systems (64bit applications should always use more memory for the same task)? This probably should be mentioned in the memory usage section as a probable reason for such a large discrepancy between the two OSes and really is just a fact of life when using a 64 bit OS without 32 bit emulation (Windows 7 used was 64 bit, but the web browers are 32 bit. Linux does not have this ability and can only run 64 bit software).[/citation]

No.

Sometimes.

You totally have it wrong.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
-adamovera
"This is not necessarily a reflection on the potential Web performance of the Linux OS, but more likely a reflection on how much time developers spend on Linux ports. "
I'm glad you mentioned this because it had already popped into my head when I began reading through the benchmarks. Other than that, I am glad to see some sort of statistics regarding this as I have wondered but obviously will not test such myself...great article!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]arnweb[/nom]Opera Turbo feature, is not mentioned here, it can boost speed in real surf. And also when we open a closed tab in Opera it opens them instantly, that's why Opera holds memory for closed, tab.[/citation][citation][nom]Tamz_msc[/nom]Opera Turbo increases page load times on slow connections.On my 2Mbps connection the time in which Opera Turbo connects to its servers is the time in which Google loads in Firefox.[/citation]Actually it slows down fast connections. Not just "slow" ones. The only time I have used the Turbo feature is on my WinMo phone (Opera Mobile 10) - and even then I only usually enable it when I'm in the middle of nowhere with a poor connection. With a good 3G connection it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

G

Its not who is the fastest, but by how much. Your test results indicate that there is not a significantly human perceptable difference between the bunch. Thus, though you may declare one browser a winner, it is not an outright winner. They are all very capable, now that is what is important.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I dare thee to test reopening a tab and see how fast Chrome, FF and Opera reload a page. There's a reason to the madness of Opera's memory handling.

Around v9.5+ Opera was the king of memory management, and FF 2.5+ was leaking like hell. Now Opera decides to actually use the memory that a user has, and they get bashed for it. (This was based on a side-by-side use on the same machine, over the span of a few months).

Personally I'd be concerned with the excessive RAM usage of Opera. For netbooks and older machines with less RAM (which many Ubuntu machines run with) Firefox seems to be best choice due to balance and good memory management.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
how about testing the browsers on a low ram system ? say 1GB ? I know this may be too restrictive, but bashing Opera for using free memory is like enforcing speed limits on F1 racing tracks ...

I'd realy be interested in the 40 tab and -39 tabs test on a 1GB ram system.

Basicaly I use Opera because:

1. it suits my style of web usage (I LOVE the tab recycle bin)
2. it behaves the same on all supported platforms
3. the core installation has all I need so I do not have to deal with addon installation

so take my bias towards Opera as it is :)

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Been using Opera since version 3.2. In response to people who claim it does not render properly:

Opera is fully W3C complaint. If a page does not render properly in Opera, it is due to a failure of the page designer, not Opera. That said, I have not encountered any reputable sites that do not display properly in Opera, other than those controlled directly by Microsoft. Which, I am sure, is deliberate.

Furthermore, all the talk of memory management is a non-issue. Opera does use more memory, but it does so for a purpose. Unless your machine is hurting for more RAM, it should not affect its performance. In other words, if the RAM issue is actually causing a noticeable performance problem (not just racking up high numbers in your task manager), fix your machine, don't blame the browser.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Okay... one more SPEED test is still needed...

Browsers running on the fruity computer... Apple's Mac. Of course IE8 is still missing, eh?

Opera is almost perfect... Printing is an issue - depending on the website, but otherwise Opera 10.1+ is vastly improved over anything in the past. Page loading standards is excellent.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Hmm... Weird results in the Firefox SunSpider bench. I'm running Linux Mint 9(Ubuntu 10.04 based) and got 1094ms in Firefox 3.6.6.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]phgphd[/nom]Its not who is the fastest, but by how much. Your test results indicate that there is not a significantly human perceptable difference between the bunch. Thus, though you may declare one browser a winner, it is not an outright winner. They are all very capable, now that is what is important.[/citation]
Bingo. They are all very close to each other. We seem to be splitting hairs. Honestly I never seen a purpose to browser wars amongst different fanboys. They all deliver the content in a timely manner, big deal. Browsers are such a non factor to me I just don't get the fuss. I use them, they work, I really don't care which I use. I'm stuck on IE6 at work, it's pretty terrible but its effective enough for my tastes, with the exception of some sites that have moved on to more complicated designs (read: pointless design that are no more effective).
Toms is a perfect example of needless design complications that don't work well with all browsers, load slow, java script errors etc. I don't understand the need, just deliver text and graphics ffs.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Last week we showed Opera TO BE??? the fastest ... c'mon man, how about

Last week we showed Opera IS!!! the fastest ....

The Elements of Style by EBWhite, small and to the point

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Opera is my browser of choice for the last 3 years now. The Linux side of Opera bothered me a bit in the 9.xx series because the systray icon featured a gray background instead of transparent (probably to "fit in" with the Gnome default panel).

Also, I hear compiling from source yields better results, especially on a source-based Linux flavor (such as Gentoo). Could Firefox see an improvement if compiled for the specific CPU architecture found on the machine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS