Web Browser Grand Prix 4: Firefox 4 Goes Final

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

People aren't forgetting about adblocking plugins for IE. It's just that they don't work nearly as well. The feature you are talking about in IE9: if you hvae to manually enter the ads block, then you are far inferior.

As for the need to keep things fast: the whole idea is that, soon, webpages will start needing fast speed. Currently browser rendering is a bottleneck for Internet applications. ]

Based on these tests, Firefox does the best all around. And that's why it has 45% of the browser share market, more than any other browser.

wolfram017

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
First of all, I would like to state that I appreciate your work.-

(A paradox: a website specialized in Hardware, has done a[nother] Software test. :) And not any kind of test: a test of browsers... In the future, if possible, please tell us, your readers, how many programmers is using Microsoft (for example), in order to periodically test their rivals' browsers, in their labs. And how rigorous is their testing methodology. And what combination of hardware & software are they using. After all, if they don't want to lie themselves, I believe they are doing very extensive tests... far beyond those done by you. Like these ones: http://caniuse.com/#statuses=rec,pr,cr,wd.)

I took the courage to send you this comment, because I noticed that ALL the "browser testers" have something in common: they [deliberately?] AVOID to evaluate the browsers' behavior, from a "protocol analyzer" perspective...

I would like to know what kind of data is sending, a browser, at its "headquarters": during the installation process, when a "crash" occurs, or, simply, just after you have started it.

IE is sending this king of data, somewhere to Microsoft Networks, at every session. Like WMP 10 does. Even Iron is sending these kind of data.

But what it sends, where, why, and how many resources it consumes (bandwidth, processor cycles), how often, using what protocols, if the data are encrypted, or not, etc., all these remain a mystery.

You, as a FF user, aren't you curious to know what data is sending the browser, each time you access a certain URL? Especially with the options "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries", enabled...

You should also disclose the fact that Firefox and Internet Explorer have the ability to disable the so-called "DOM Storage" persistent "cookie". I do not know if Chrome has it, too. But I do know that Opera does not not have this capability...

Functionality, "ergonomicity", "artistic impression" of the GUI, Speed, Security, Conformance with the web standards, configurability, and other "technical" characteristics...

But what about PRIVACY? Does it have any relevance for you?

Yes, with the latest version of *browser* you are protected. But the price of this "safety" is, almost always, the lack of privacy. (After all, Microsoft ditto: "Windows 7 = Life without walls". Without walls... for who? For "the Big Brother", maybe?)

And how many of the "allowed" plug-ins, designed for Firefox, contain "spyware", in a form, or another?

Very often, those who are talking about "conspiracies" are the conspirators themselves...

"More and more browser manufacturers are integrating functionalities into their browsers, that are sending private data of their users, back to the browser functionality. Sometimes, this data consists of a unique ID allowing to identify a user, sometimes it is a URL of a website that could not be found. Google Chrome and the new Internet Explorer 8 have been turned into real champions when it gets into collecting those kinds of personal data, but even Firefox and Safari are sending out private information. – AntiBrowserSpy is a tool designed for helping users to switch off those spy functionality." (I have quoted a software producer.)

And more:

"We can literally know everything [about a certain user], if we want to." (Google CEO Eric Schmidt @ the Mobile World Congress, in 2010)

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15614/google_ceo_schmidt_we_can_know_everything_about_you

In a future test, do you have THE COURAGE to study the behavior of the four main browsers, using a tool like Wireshark; for, let's say, three months; and then, to publish your results?

I bet you don't!

Wolfram

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
My problem with FF 4.0.1 (or whatever it's listed as now) doesn't play nice with WMV files inbedded into webpages. I can hear but not see any of the video in this format.

G

Java ?! webGL ?! guys what are you smoking o_O ? Who cares about them ? What reasonable man would even have those enabled in browser?

Firefox is damn slow in everything except synthetic javascript tests. Chrome is the fastest in overall performance with low number of tabs, Opera is fastest with medium or high number of tabs. IE9 is good browser, solid third place. Safari_Win is a joke, test Mac version or ignore it for good.

@AznShinobi:
~~~ Why are all you guys hating on FF?
Nobody is hating it. Firefox 3 was a good improvement over 2, 3.5 and 3.6 gradually made it even better... but 4 and 5 are complete disaster. I am sorry for Mozilla, but they failed. It lags without opened pages, it lags without extensions installed, it lags like hell when you try to put some load on it.

G

This test is BS.
I've tried HWACCEL on 3 browsers on my 5 year old macbook:
Firefox 6 - 2 fps
Chrome 13 - 5 fps
Safari 5.1 - 29 fps
AQUARIUM (50 fish)
Chrome 13 - 30 fps
Safari 5.1 - 38 fps

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
When in the world will Mozilla make Firefox be able to take advantage of more than 1 CPU? When I tell FF8 to restore 25 tabs, the firefox.exe process is begged close to 50% CPU usage (1 full core 100% utilized), and this is on a very beefy internet connection. I have done many tests and have concluded that Firefox's rendering engine cannot use more than 1 CPU, which is retarded because Google Chrome does! Up to 1 core per tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.