Web Browser Grand Prix: Chrome 18, Firefox 11, Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheredahoodat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
"Both Opera and Chrome feltmuch smoother on our old PC than Firefox"

I do kinda feel the difference with Firefox's responsive going from my main modern desktop to my older labtop that has regulated to a makeshift HTC. I believe Firefox XUL interface is the culprit; it was a big enough problem for Firefox mobile to abandon it in favor of native Android GUI, but who knows at this point. I guess might actually give Opera a chance.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
How come only a single reader requested numerical composite scoring, that's the most logical way of scoring after all! With that said, I'd have liked if you didn't use the rankings but the raw scores after a more intelligent transformation as the input for weighted averaging...
For example, for each category you could subtract the lowest-placed score from all scores and then normalize in the range [0-1] by dividing all adjusted scores by the topmost adjusted score. This way the top perfomer always has 1 and the worst performer always has 0 modified score (you'd need to invert them for tests where lower is better of course, e.g. subtract these from 1). Then apply your ranks to these scores and you get the composite score. It's not a perfect transformation, but it certainly has more fairly distributed weight (pun intended) than what you have used here.

aznjoka

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Thats my Opera, for those who have never tried Opera. It's an amazing piece of software, it does the job, and it does it better then most.

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Interesting move to make this article. Well done! Don't waste your time on a vista run though... Im so close my release date. xD

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]aznjoka[/nom]Thats my Opera, for those who have never tried Opera. It's an amazing piece of software, it does the job, and it does it better then most.[/citation]

XP can't run 9. Need to upgrade OS in order to get higher IE.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
excellent review!
some points:

1.A lot of corporates still use IE7. maybe you should include that too in your benchmarks

2.if you remove HTML5 (with and without H/W acceleration), i think Opera's victory margin will be quite huge.

3.Regarding smoothness, i beleive FF is quite poor in this. But the developers know about it and are very activle working on it. I thik FF13 will be the release when smoothness will improve. look at "Firefox Snappy".

4. i would like to have a subjective recommendation at the end of the article, something you subjectively felt was the best amongst all the browsers, even though it may be trailing in numbers.

G

[citation][nom]bunnywanny[/nom]Anyone who is still stuck using Windows 2000, Opera supports you.[/citation]
Toms, the "add an url" in the comment toolbar doesn't work. Here is the link:
http://www.opera.com/browser/download/requirements/

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but I've been a fan of Opera for a few years now, until recently. I've noticed that the then-latest version, 11.61, took so long to load pages. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my internet connection. For some reason I installed Chrome. I noticed right away that browsing with Chrome was faster (pages loaded quickly). My first suspicion was that it was just plain luck; that the bandwidth simply was faster coincidentally when I was using Chrome. I did a side-by-side comparison with both browsers open, and yes, Opera did load pages sluggishly. I was stumped. For the record, I'm NOT bashing Opera here, folks. I just don't know why this is happening. Heck, I'd switch back to Opera in a flash. This all happened with Opera 11.61. I think I'll give Opera 12 a shot.

straatkat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
The html5 ranking is surprising. A score north of 300 for HTML5 support is, I would say, about par. In the end, HTML5 adoption in the wild is a good as the lowest score, because you want people to have access to your site, you are not going to build a site that locks out a substantial portion of the internet. So you are not going to target a HTML5 feature that is specific to a browser.

sheol

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Out of the box, no browser that I know of comes close to Opera when it comes to usability(mouse gestures, tab manangement, "Closed Tabs " - a recycle bin of tabs if you will, an awesome feature that keeps your closed tabs for easy retrieval for when you might need them.
This is why I believe Opera uses so much memory after 39 tabs have been closed.

And reliability, who could complain? Routinely i have 50+ tabs open for days, and I have not had a single crash because of it.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Yes, Opera is the best browser out-of-the-box, but I've seen that sometimes it takes a long time to load a page and there is no way to tell if its done or not. On complex websites it keeps showing Elements 87/88 and it seems like its stuck at that point.

Anyways, Firefox is my primary browser and I use Opera as a backup.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I use firefox still because in my opinion it's like a swiss army knife among browsers. I have chrome and use it on the rare occasion but I will definetely be getting opera now, because I'm very impressed with it's performance even on an outdated system.
I do think its unfair though to compare IE8 to the newer versions of the other browsers, but theres not much you can do about that on this test system so I'll just disregard it.

LaloFG

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
This is a better approach qualifying browsers, at least now you're mention the feeling in responsiveness.
Opera deserve this win (and others that it lost for bad testing in tomshardware), maybe someday will caught a bigger quota.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I'm glad you included the responsiveness results, to me it never mattered if Firefox or other browsers met or surpassed Chrome and Opera in benchmarks, the fact was that Chrome and Opera just stay responsive no matter what you throw at them which no other browser has yet come close to.

Status
Not open for further replies.