Question Websites occasionally loading in "simple" mode

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
This issue has been ongoing for several months on my Windows 10 PC using the latest version of Chrome. When loading a website, it occasionally loads in "simple" mode (I'm not sure what the proper term is) where there is very little formatting. Sometimes pages might return a "you need to upgrade your web browser" message. When the page loads like this, I hit F5 and then it will usually load normally. Occasionally I might need to hit F5 multiple times before the site loads properly, but it will eventually load. The strange part is that the issue occurs sporadically. I might go a week without any issues at all, then one morning I will have problems loading several webpages, then it will return to normal again.

I have tried all the usual browser troubleshooting steps (clearing cache, cookies, etc.), but that hasn't helped. At this point, the sporadic nature of the problem leads me to think it might not be related to the browser at all. I haven't ever seen the issue in Edge, but I don't use Edge very often so I can't confidently say that it doesn't occur in Edge. Has anyone ever seen this before? What could be happening to cause this type of behavior? An example screenshot of what happens when I load webpages is attached. You can see there is very little formatting and it is mostly just text and links.

c5Sq5gn.jpg

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
The problem came back today after a complete reinstall of Chrome. I had a few websites not load correctly this morning and give me a "Please update your browser" message. What else could it be?

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I have had this happen but it seems to always be related to the ad and script block extensions I run.

Maybe it is DNS issue. Change the DNS in your pc to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8
I had already tried changing the DNS once before and it didn't solve the problem. You mentioned ad block extensions though. Could it be related to AdBlock?