Question Weird 2 second lag and ping spike while gaming

Oct 5, 2023
Hello,
Everytime I play an online game my ping will spike to 150-200 which freezes the game for like a second or two which makes all online games unplayable. I use internet from my iphone, its a 5G connection via cable so everything should be running smoothly. There is no other device connected, all updates on my phone are disabled that includes app updates, software and cloud. Any idea why this happens?

Speed test:
DOWNLOAD Mbps - 107.48
UPLOAD Mbps - 7.93
Idle Latency - 31
Download latency- 143
Upload latency - 246

All other single player games run without any lag so I don't think its my specs.
I would really appreciate any help
sorry for bad English

Having a cable between the phone and the computer is only a tiny part of the path. You are still running on a mobile broadband where they key feature is "mobile". There is a lot of trade off in network design to get the mobile part to work even though you are not actually using that feature you are still affected by the overall design.

It is highly likely it is something in the cell network causing this and it will be completely out of your control. You are sharing the cell tower with many other users and even worse the users change as they move in and out of range of the cell tower.

The fairly standard test is leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. You would then check to see if you get issues in that window when you game has issues. If you get packet loss or large latency spikes at the same time then it confirms that it is something in the cell providers network.

You could I guess get lucky and the test shows no loss or delay on the ping. That though now means it is something with the game itself. Can be anything from video drivers to some issue with how files are stored. Problem is your internet connection can still cause issue randomly which will make troubleshooting harder.

Oct 5, 2023
Having a cable between the phone and the computer is only a tiny part of the path. You are still running on a mobile broadband where they key feature is "mobile". There is a lot of trade off in network design to get the mobile part to work even though you are not actually using that feature you are still affected by the overall design.

It is highly likely it is something in the cell network causing this and it will be completely out of your control. You are sharing the cell tower with many other users and even worse the users change as they move in and out of range of the cell tower.

The fairly standard test is leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. You would then check to see if you get issues in that window when you game has issues. If you get packet loss or large latency spikes at the same time then it confirms that it is something in the cell providers network.

You could I guess get lucky and the test shows no loss or delay on the ping. That though now means it is something with the game itself. Can be anything from video drivers to some issue with how files are stored. Problem is your internet connection can still cause issue randomly which will make troubleshooting harder.
Thanks for replying,

i've done the test while playing a match in fifa and I got one ping spike.
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 200, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 298ms, Average = 27ms

Then I played some League and it happened twice
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 200, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 856ms, Average = 32ms

it also happens when im not playing games just random ping spike

Hard to say if just a single spike will cause a issue in the game. Your averages are still pretty good so it means there are very few spikes.

It is completely normal for you to get random ping spikes when you are on any kind of wireless...either wifi or mobile broadband.
You are always subject to interfering signals and other users traffic both with can cause the latency to change.

At this point I would suspect it is not a network issue but something else on the machine causing it. Problem is these can be anything from video drivers or video settings to stuff like something stupid like steam running in the background does a lot of disk i/o. If there is anyway possible you can test on a different internet connection that does not have a wireless connection in the path it might save you time. Although I don't think it is network problems on wireless networks are so random it still could be.
Mostly this is to avoid testing and changing bunches of game settings when it is not the problem.