[SOLVED] Weird behaviour after RAM upgrade

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
I upgraded the RAM on my old laptop from 8GB to 16GB, it's same speeds and same model and maker - Corsair Vengeance.
Old one is CMSX8GX3M2B1600C9, new one is CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9.

Everything works fine with 0 crashes or BSODs...
The weird things happen when I try to reboot the computer, it shuts windows down and then just not post.
I have to force shutdown the computer and power it on again and it will work fine until I try rebooting.
There are no problems if I properly shut it down, it will post with no problems like that.

How do I solve this?

P.S.
Replacing the old ram sticks over the new ones fixes the issue.

Solution
Latest bios is from 2012, I can try it, but I'm quite sure this is the one I already have.

The CPU is an I7-2820QM
Those are the memory sticks I WAS using:
Vengeance® — 8GB High Performance Laptop Memory

Those are the new ones:
Vengeance® — 16GB High Performance Laptop Memory

I asked because some mobile i3 and i5 CPUs support less memory. According to the Asus website here your laptop supports "DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core), 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core)".

Speeds said there is 1333Mhz although if your previous RAMs were OK this shouldn't be an issue and the i7 2820QM can manage up to 1600Mhz.

Does the motherboard have two...
even if both sticks are the same make and model it is still considered mixing and matching ram. ram sold in kits are tested together.

even so i would check if there are any BIOS updates for your laptop. if you find there is one and decide to update the BIOS i would remove the new stick when doing the BIOS update then after it is successfully updated put it back in.

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
even if both sticks are the same make and model it is still considered mixing and matching ram. ram sold in kits are tested together.

even so i would check if there are any BIOS updates for your laptop. if you find there is one and decide to update the BIOS i would remove the new stick when doing the BIOS update then after it is successfully updated put it back in.

You got it wrong, this is a seperate pair of 2x8, the old one which I removed is a pair of 2x4.

I would check for bios updates, like Captaincharisma said, a lot of Bios updates help memory compatibility. You can try swapping the slots with the new memory to see if that helps. A friend of mine was having issues with his and he swapped the memory in the slots an his issues went away, strange. May have been the contacts in his.

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
I would check for bios updates, like Captaincharisma said, a lot of Bios updates help memory compatibility. You can try swapping the slots with the new memory to see if that helps. A friend of mine was having issues with his and he swapped the memory in the slots an his issues went away, strange. May have been the contacts in his.

Latest bios is from 2012, I can try it, but I'm quite sure this is the one I already have.

What is the CPU? What were the old RAMs speed/clock?

The CPU is an I7-2820QM

Those are the new ones:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

The CPU is an I7-2820QM

Those are the new ones:

I asked because some mobile i3 and i5 CPUs support less memory. According to the Asus website here your laptop supports "DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core), 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core)".

Speeds said there is 1333Mhz although if your previous RAMs were OK this shouldn't be an issue and the i7 2820QM can manage up to 1600Mhz.

Does the motherboard have two slots or 4 slots for RAM? That text on Asus website says if two slots "up to 8 G SDRAM" (that is 2x4GB) and you have installed 2x8GB. When you have more RAM than the system manufacturer specifies some systems are OK some don't POST some just BSOD and some just act up and do weird things. Maybe that's the issue here.

Solution

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
It's the 2 slot variant, from what you say I guess it's the motherboard being picky.
But strange that it only gives me issues on a restart and will just blackscreen and not post instead of straight up not posting from start or giving me BSOD's.
The CPU itself is a quad core and can handle up to 32GB with 1600Mhz speeds... 2820QM

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes it might be a finicky mother board, then again, it is stated that 2 slots should have 2x4GB on the website.

That's why I asked about the CPU as the website also says "up to 8 G" for Dual Core CPUs which applies to many of those i3s and i5s.

I guess it's a bit 'lucky' and kind of better than not POSTing at all. As they are free of errors (memtest) you can keep them and not reboot (which is kind of inconvinient) or just get back to 2x4GB.

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
It really is an odd behavior, at first I was 100% certain its Windows as it was acting up lately too. But as a secondary computer that only runs Nox, Discord and internet till I go to bed and turn it off, it's not a big deal not being able to reboot (except if a restart is required for an update), and the extra 8gb does give the machine a breather in performance.
Worst case, I can always flip them online.

Thanks for your time.

Boon1234

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
I kept the 16gb kit for now, I already had it like that close to a month,
The thing is I noticed the restart freeze just a few days ago.
I will keep track if I get more BSOD in the next 7 days I might go back. And like I mentioned in the last post, Windows also been acting up so it might be the cause for the crash.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well I was going to mention that the BSODs (although unlikely) might not be caused by the RAM and by something else.

You can set your Windows to drop mini dumps when BSODs happen, upload the file somewhere like Google Drive, Dropbox etc. (with share settings set to public access) and others and me can have a look at them and maybe find out if it's because of RAM or something else.