Question Weird computer freeze that I think is caused by bad RAM ?

Dec 19, 2023
Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
Radeon 6650XT
32G G.SKILL 2400Mhz
Samsung 980 EVO 1TB
Samsung 870 EVO 500GB
WD 500GB
Seagate 2TB HDD

So I've had the same set of RAM across two whole different builds and on both there have been times where the system would "slowly lose function". First the clock would stop, then the task bar would get stuck, I couldn't interact with any programs and trying to open task manager would work at first but trying to reset explorer would only leave the list of options when I right-clicked slightly faded. The only option would be hard reseting.

Now, I am assuming that the RAM is faulty because

1. Every single necessary component is new EXCEPT the RAM.
2. The RAM is DDR4 and only 2400mhz(that sounds slow but if not then rule this out)
3. The idea that makes the most sense to me is that because I bought the first set of 16 new and a seperate set of 16 used, the two sets are conflicting and causing my system act weird.

Of course I don't know much about computers but I am thinking of replacing the RAM because nothing else makes sense and I need some insight from a more educated crowd.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
Radeon 6650XT
32G G.SKILL 2400Mhz
Samsung 980 EVO 1TB
Samsung 870 EVO 500GB
WD 500GB
Seagate 2TB HDD

So I've had the same set of RAM across two whole different builds and on both there have been times where the system would "slowly lose function". First the clock would stop, then the task bar would get stuck, I couldn't interact with any programs and trying to open task manager would work at first but trying to reset explorer would only leave the list of options when I right-clicked slightly faded. The only option would be hard reseting.

2. The RAM is DDR4 and only 2400mhz(that sounds slow but if not then rule this out)
3. The idea that makes the most sense to me is that because I bought the first set of 16 new and a seperate set of 16 used, the two sets are conflicting and causing my system act weird.

Of course I don't know much about computers but I am thinking of replacing the RAM because nothing else makes sense and I need some insight from a more educated crowd.
Did you actually check RAM ?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
Radeon 6650XT
32G G.SKILL 2400Mhz
Samsung 980 EVO 1TB
Samsung 870 EVO 500GB
WD 500GB
Seagate 2TB HDD

Ryzen doesn't really like ripjaw ram it can be very picky. Make sure it's addressing all the ram and not just 1 set of sticks .

Also make sure the timings are exactly the same

Have only 1 pair of ram seated in slots 2 and 4 see if issues persist

Also what is your power supply.

Dec 19, 2023
Ryzen doesn't really like ripjaw ram it can be very picky. Make sure it's addressing all the ram and not just 1 set of sticks .

Also make sure the timings are exactly the same

Have only 1 pair of ram seated in slots 2 and 4 see if issues persist

Also what is your power supply.
I have a modular 750watt corsair psu but the issue is it happens rarely so I can never know when to have the ram in or out. it is starting to happen more now but still that doesnt sound efficient. and if addressing all ram sticks means that it utilizes all 32 gigs then yeah it does

If you want another tool to look at, I've used Karhu's RAM Test and it's quick to find issues if there are any. Though the only thing is you need to cough up $10 (it's on sale at the moment)

The interwebs also suggests TestMem5 with anta777's config, which is free: https://www.overclock.net/threads/memory-testing-with-testmem5-tm5-with-custom-configs.1751608/

Of note, the only reason why I looked at something other than MemTest86+ is because user reports were cropping up that MemTest86+ doesn't really stress the memory subsystem that much. It's great if you're trying to detect faulty RAM modules, but the memory subsystem also includes the CPU's memory controller, which may be faulty too (which is something I experience a while back).

Dec 19, 2023
If you want another tool to look at, I've used Karhu's RAM Test and it's quick to find issues if there are any. Though the only thing is you need to cough up $10 (it's on sale at the moment)

The interwebs also suggests TestMem5 with anta777's config, which is free: https://www.overclock.net/threads/memory-testing-with-testmem5-tm5-with-custom-configs.1751608/

Of note, the only reason why I looked at something other than MemTest86+ is because user reports were cropping up that MemTest86+ doesn't really stress the memory subsystem that much. It's great if you're trying to detect faulty RAM modules, but the memory subsystem also includes the CPU's memory controller, which may be faulty too (which is something I experience a while back).
I used MemTest it found nothing. it took 5 and a half hours too so im not keen on doing it again but ill try it sigh

Dec 19, 2023
It's too elementary to catch incompatibility or errors, 2-3 turns of MemTest86 should be enough. there's no much to figuring it, any error shows in red.
it took five and a half hours, i gotta do it again? bruh. i didnt get any errors either