Question Weird CPU Temperatures

Jul 8, 2021
This might seem weird but after updating ASRocks Mother Utility (A-Tuning) to the latest version, my CPU temps have been acting weird. Before updating, idle and browsing chrome would normally be around the mid-30s rarely hitting 40+, and depending on the game it would go up to 40-60+, and on certain games maxing at 70, never going above that. After updating it, I've noticed on idle it goes around 40-50, sometimes dipping into the 30s but quickly going back up to 40-50, using chrome is now around 45-50+, and games 60+, but still never going over 70. I know the temps are still good but it's a little strange as to why this started happening all of a sudden. I just build my pc at the beginning of the year and everything has been fine on temps but this little incident has me worried. I have a Ryzen 5 3600, with a Kraken x63. I've also noticed a little cycle between temps, on idle and also with chrome, discord open, it would go up to 50, slowly makes its way down to 38-40, then automatically go back to 50, and repeats the cycle every 5 seconds.

most motherboard control software now includes auto-tuning options for fans, OC, etc.
there's a good chance it has implemented a less efficient fan curve for the CPU and\or case fans.

if you haven't already,
setup a more aggressive fan curve
and maybe turn up the fan spin-up\down time.

Jul 8, 2021
most motherboard control software now includes auto-tuning options for fans, OC, etc.
there's a good chance it has implemented a less efficient fan curve for the CPU and\or case fans.

if you haven't already,
setup a more aggressive fan curve
and maybe turn up the fan spin-up\down time.

I did notice my fan settings were reset, but I have changed them back to what I had before and still was getting the same temps.

BoomBoomBot

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
Check your core voltage. Sometimes for ryzen cpus the auto voltage is being set to ridiculous values. You can do that by going into the bios. The variation in temps at idle could be caused by a spike of voltage when a process bumps up the cpu clock for a couple of seconds.

Jul 8, 2021
Check your core voltage. Sometimes for ryzen cpus the auto voltage is being set to ridiculous values. You can do that by going into the bios. The variation in temps at idle could be caused by a spike of voltage when a process bumps up the cpu clock for a couple of seconds.

I have an ASRock B550m Pro4 motherboard, and the bios don't really have that many settings to change, but that just might be me as this is my first pc build and don't know that much. I did find CPU frequency and voltage that was on auto and change it to manual with the default inputs it sets when changing to the manual, the frequency is set to 3600 and voltage set to 1.1. I've noticed the maximum values on ryzen master for frequency to change from 4200 to 3600 and voltage change from auto to 1.1. Temperatures seem to be back to normal from just messing around for the past 5min, but I don't know if changing the frequency and voltage to a set maximum instead of auto is good or not.

BoomBoomBot

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
I have an ASRock B550m Pro4 motherboard, and the bios don't really have that many settings to change, but that just might be me as this is my first pc build and don't know that much. I did find CPU frequency and voltage that was on auto and change it to manual with the default inputs it sets when changing to the manual, the frequency is set to 3600 and voltage set to 1.1. I've noticed the maximum values on ryzen master for frequency to change from 4200 to 3600 and voltage change from auto to 1.1. Temperatures seem to be back to normal from just messing around for the past 5min, but I don't know if changing the frequency and voltage to a set maximum instead of auto is good or not.
The auto feature just sets the parameters as it sees fit so setting the voltage and frequency to manual means that youll have to input them yourself. What i can tell from your post is that the frequency is now set to 3600 and voltage to 1.1 which if its stable means youll have a max stock frequency for your processor when needed and never reach the turbo frequencies. Depending on the setting and features you have on your motherboard youll need to either manually overclock your processor up to the advertized turbo speeds or enable one of the turbo settings while manually allowing enough voltage to be supplied to your cpu. This can take a couple of tries to reach a stable state but it will certainly normalize your temps while providing the same performance as before.

Jul 8, 2021
The auto feature just sets the parameters as it sees fit so setting the voltage and frequency to manual means that youll have to input them yourself. What i can tell from your post is that the frequency is now set to 3600 and voltage to 1.1 which if its stable means youll have a max stock frequency for your processor when needed and never reach the turbo frequencies. Depending on the setting and features you have on your motherboard youll need to either manually overclock your processor up to the advertized turbo speeds or enable one of the turbo settings while manually allowing enough voltage to be supplied to your cpu. This can take a couple of tries to reach a stable state but it will certainly normalize your temps while providing the same performance as before.

There is a core performance boost option in bios which I assume is the turbo, I tested that yesterday, and with it off temps were normal before the issue but I've read that it is the default for that to be on and I shouldn't touch it, but i dont know if that was previously on before updating a-tuning and/or if a-tuning could change that. I also noticed on ryzen master the frequency and voltage option to change if i change the profile to manual, and the voltage they have which i assume is the default is 1.35, I went to change that in the bios from what the manual was default set to 1.1. Now that i have the voltage set to 1.35 in bios, it seems to also be at 1.35 in ryzen master as before when set to 1.1 the voltage will change back and forth with whatever im doing.

BoomBoomBot

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
I dont really like using Ryzen master so i dont have much experience with it but its just showing you your current settings that youve applied in bios. Download hwinfo and run a benchmark. Observe your max cpu frequency along with core voltage. If the frequency reaches 4200 ghz at around 1.35 core voltage with no crashing you should be good to go. Id also personally test out different voltages. For example lowering the core voltage by 0.0625 and see at what voltage the pc starts crashing. After it chrashes upon starting a benchmark, up the voltage by 0.1250 and test again. It should be stable and maybe it will be lower than the 1.35 you have currently set which will ensure optimal working conditions for the cpu. Though you dont have to do all that if youre fine with slight inefficiencies. You can do this either through ryzen master or the bios. Oh and if the cpu frequency doesnt reach the turbo speeds you can manually set it to 4200 and it should work the same.