Weird cursor feeling in BIOS?

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
Hi guys,
For the past two months or so I have been experiencing a really weird mouse cursor issue in the BIOS screen. My best description of it would be very slippery or floaty. It is almost impossible for me to move the cursor in a straight line. The issue also occurs when I play games however I would describe the BIOS cursor behaviour as almost unusable. I feel as if somehow the two are related.

I have pretty much messed with all possible settings relating to the mouse sensor, acceleration off and also used different mice, USB ports and mousepads. Updated all drivers and reinstalled them still to no avail.

I have quite recently replaced all my parts in my PC EXCEPT my graphics card to try and solve the issue with no results.

My understanding with the BIOS was that actual mouse settings in windows do not effect what happens on the BIOS screen. Is it possible that I need to update my BIOS? I am grasping at straws to fix it lol

My Mobo is Asus Strix Z270G Gaming Motherboard and I am currently running BIOS version 0801 (Also, I am using Windows 10).

Thankyou!! If you have any knowledge please share :)

Solution
A BIOS update is a good thing to try especially when you have issues adding new hardware to an older motherboard. I actually assumed version 0801 was the newest version. I'd give a BIOS update a try, sometimes it helps when you are having issues with hardware that is newer than the motherboard or strange BIOS bugs. The fact that it happens on integrated as well means that it may not be an issue with the iGPU or dedicated GPU at all but I'd still also try another video card of you have one just to be sure.

jr9

Estimable
That is unfortunate that you replaced everything but the graphics card when it is the most likely cause of this kind of problem. If you are getting bizarre visuals in BIOS settings, that generally points to an issue with the graphics card or sometimes the motherboard in cases of BIOS corruption. It can also be an issue with the mouse being on an uneven surface or a dirty/bad mouse.

If you have a CPU that has integrated video, remove the graphics card and run on just integrated video with the display hooked up to the motherboard and see if the issue stops.

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

Hey man thanks for the reply, I tried the integrated graphics as you said by connecting the monitor into the mobo slot but I still experienced a similar issue. The reason I bought the parts were mostly to fix this issue, so the graphics card is the only hardware that I can replace to fix it lol.

I was also researching about a possible windows 10 update called Fall Creator's Update that could possibly cause this?

jr9

Estimable
If you are experiencing the problem in BIOS then no. What happens in BIOS takes place before Windows is loaded and is like a completely independent and isolated place. You can access BIOS settings without even having a hard drive.

Did you replace your motherboard as well?

Have you tried a different monitor?

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

Thanks again for the response!

So essentially I've replaced literally EVERY bit of hardware except the GPU. I am using a new motherboard AND a new monitor as well (I upgraded my 60hz monitor to a 144hz). I plan on replacing my current GPU (gtx 970) to something a bit better, possibly a 1080 in the next week or so so hopefully that will fix it.

Could using an old BIOS version be a factor? I'm using a Z270G Gaming Motherboard from ASUS Strix and the current BIOS version I'm running is 0802 which came out in January of 2017 (the newest version is 1203). So as you can imagine there have been quite a few updates in between then and now, do you think getting someone to update the BIOS for me would have an effect?

jr9

Estimable
A BIOS update is a good thing to try especially when you have issues adding new hardware to an older motherboard. I actually assumed version 0801 was the newest version. I'd give a BIOS update a try, sometimes it helps when you are having issues with hardware that is newer than the motherboard or strange BIOS bugs. The fact that it happens on integrated as well means that it may not be an issue with the iGPU or dedicated GPU at all but I'd still also try another video card of you have one just to be sure.

Solution