Weird disk 100% usage problem, can't solve it with anything.

Sparkyle

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem.
A few months ago I had this exact same problem, the disk went up to 100% usage in the task manager whilst gaming or doing some other tasks. I tried to fix the problem with a lot of possible solutions and it didn't work, so I tried to get some help from a friend of mine that repairs computers and stuff, and knows more than me.
The solution he sugested was buying a new hard drive, so I bought a new one.
The fact is that the problem is coming back again, I can't remember properly if it stopped for a time when I installed this new hard-drive but the thing is it is coming back.

When I'm doing some gaming, the hard drive where I have installed the games just goes 100% usage for a short tick, like 1 second, and it makes the game freeze for that bit. It's really annoying, and I've tried a bunch of diferent solutions, disabled superfetch and Windows Search, disabled BITS, installed Hyper-V, I've done a sfg scannow (I think the command was like that) and it didn't found any problems.

Don't think it is Google Chrome, because it is installed in the C: disk, which is an SSD, and the problem is with the D: disk, a 3TB hard drive.

If someone could help me it will be more than appreciated.

Sorry for my bad English and I will try to give you all the information you need if you can give me a hand on this.

EDIT: Maybe a Motherboard problem?

Sparkyle

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
I think I fixed it!

The problem was that my hard drive is a Caviar Green, so it slows down itself when is inactive for around 8 seconds.

The solution: Disable that option with a boobtable USB with an exe that is on the WD web page, or set it to it's max value.

Will run a few more tests and if it works this post is closed, if I found some problems I'll have to update this again. But by now, It seems fixed :)