[SOLVED] Weird display/gpu crash while playing a game

Oct 1, 2019
Early this evening I logged on to play games with some friends, and a few seconds after loading into the game my display went black and reported no signal. computer stayed on and working; the discord call i was in kept going without any issues.

Restarted my computer and the bios/post screen hung for a second with the message "updating your system." Once it finished I saw the windows update screen for a fraction of a second then was able to log on. Checked event manager and it reported a critical error reading "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" at the time my display went black.

I did a clean install of my GPU drivers and restarted, and have been playing games for about 2 hours now with no issues or crashes at all.

Anything I should be concerned about, or any ideas why this might have happened? Thanks in advance

Solution
I would not be worried about it per se.

As to what happened: "Gremlins", "Perfect Storm", who knows....

Unfortunately you/your computer/Windows/ the game was simply in a situation where some ongoing update and the game you were playing ended up fighting over some resource. Windows was unable to resolve the conflict and crashed.

Whatever was ongoing seems to have been able to successfully finish and the reboot sorted out any remaining issues.

Just keep an eye on things.

Event "Manager"/Viewer good to check. Reliability History would be worth checking.

Ralston18

Titan

Unfortunately you/your computer/Windows/ the game was simply in a situation where some ongoing update and the game you were playing ended up fighting over some resource. Windows was unable to resolve the conflict and crashed.

Whatever was ongoing seems to have been able to successfully finish and the reboot sorted out any remaining issues.

Event "Manager"/Viewer good to check. Reliability History would be worth checking.

Solution
Aug 8, 2019

Alright, thanks. I'll keep an eye out and hopefully it won't happen again