Weird display problem

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
So, I have this really weird display problem when my computer monitor just fades to black without any warning and when I turn my LG HDTV on that I have hooked onto my computer via HDMI I can see the Windows 10 logon screen and everything's fine, only my monitor isn't working until i restart my computer.
It happens without warning always and I have literally no idea how I would fix it. I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Solution
There could a problem with your display power supply or control board. First make sure that you check that every connection is secure-it could be a loose cable.

Capacitors in displays can degrade as they age. When you turn on your display and it heats up one or more capacitors may not be able to provide the voltage required to drive either the controller, the LCD, or the backlight. This could result in your screen fading to black and not working until it's reset.

If you have an external power supply (power brick), it may be as easy as replacing that. If everything is internal, fixing the problem may require prying the case open and replacing components.
There could a problem with your display power supply or control board. First make sure that you check that every connection is secure-it could be a loose cable.

Capacitors in displays can degrade as they age. When you turn on your display and it heats up one or more capacitors may not be able to provide the voltage required to drive either the controller, the LCD, or the backlight. This could result in your screen fading to black and not working until it's reset.

If you have an external power supply (power brick), it may be as easy as replacing that. If everything is internal, fixing the problem may require prying the case open and replacing components.

Solution

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
@Calculagator Thank you for you reply. I've tried what you suggested and believe to have located the issue.

It's some weird combination between my power outlet and the HDMI cable that's plugged in. I've changed the power outlet and the monitor turning off has stopped but now 3D games have awful screen tearing as long as the HDMI is plugged into the TV.

Any idea about this new issue? :/

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014

Thank you for you reply. I've tried what you suggested and believe to have located the issue.

It's some weird combination between my power outlet and the HDMI cable that's plugged in. I've changed the power outlet and the monitor turning off has stopped but now 3D games have awful screen tearing as long as the HDMI is plugged into the TV.

Any idea about this new issue? :/