Question Weird FPS dips

Jan 12, 2021
Up until last year my main gaming pc was an i5 4590 (non-k) with a stock Intel fan, 16GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600Mhz, and a trusty GTX 980ti.

Then I upgraded to an i7 7700 (non-k) with a GTX 1080ti and 32GB of 3000Mhz Ram.

Problem is...I never really suffered from frame dips in the games I played on the older system. I only upgraded because I needed a system that could run games over 100 fps on a new 144Hz monitor.
My son, however, only has a 60 Hz monitor, so my older system was the perfect upgrade for him from his old 2nd Gen i5 and a GT1030 card.

He loves games like Assasins Creed, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. But what I have noticed (and have first seen it in Forza Horizon 4) is that he now suffers from these frame dips in games where everything looks smooth, but every 5 seconds or so, just for half a second, it looks as if gameplay freezes. Seen it in almost all the games he plays now, including his most recent install, Watchdogs 2.
I get it, most of the games mentioned have been seen by the public as unoptimized over the years, but Forza Horizon runs smoothly on every single gaming machine we have in the house EXCEPT for his computer.

Is there perhaps some help to be had around here? Anyone else suffered from the same dips in FPS and found a solution?

Jan 12, 2021
No, because I Cleaned the SSD in a way to transfer my work files to my new pc, while leaving it with the same install it had. Did not have to change a thing. That said...we did reset Windows a month ago. He knew he was going to lose all his game installs, but we needed a clean windows install and clean format of both HDD's. The problem persists

Jan 12, 2021
When you upgraded and changed motherboard did you reinstall Windows? If no then this is the first thing I would do.
To be clear. The PC was in a Coolermaster case, with a H97 mobo, i5 4590, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX980ti. The PC went to my son without ANY Changes. I literally cleaned it from work files, videos, photos, etc and handed it to my son with Google logged in with his own email address. Thats it.

Jan 12, 2021
Oh it’s a new pc and not an upgrade to your original pc.
I think you may not be understanding at all. It's not a new pc. It's not an upgrade...either.
It literally is my old work and gaming pc I gave to my son as an upgrade to his old pc. In its entirety. As a whole.
The point is...I never experienced the frame dips he is experiencing before I gave it to him.

I think you may not be understanding at all. It's not a new pc. It's not an upgrade...either.
It literally is my old work and gaming pc I gave to my son as an upgrade to his old pc. In its entirety. As a whole.
The point is...I never experienced the frame dips he is experiencing before I gave it to him.
Sorry I do get it, I worded it badly. I originally read it that the pc had been upgraded but it is actually 2 entirely different systems. It means my idea is not relevant.