Question Weird freezing issue when gaming on Windows 11

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Asus B650-A, 32GB DDR5 6000 (in EXPO in Bios), 2080 Super, WD Black SN 850 SSD, 1000w Seasonic Focus GX80+ Gold, Ryzen 7 7700x (Not OC'd) and cooler is MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AOI.

Drivers are updated for GPU, Chipset and SSD. Sometimes when I game in Super People, Warzone or Halo the game just stops. I can control alt delete but when I click task manager it wont pop up. I can hit the Windows key and see it there but anything I click on, well nothing happens it just goes back to the game and the only thing I can do is restart. I use hwinfo64 but I am not able to scroll to check all the temps but when I am able to nothing is higher than what it should be.

Asus B650-A, 32GB DDR5 6000 (in EXPO in Bios), 2080 Super, WD Black SN 850 SSD, 1000w Seasonic Focus GX80+ Gold, Ryzen 7 7700x (Not OC'd) and cooler is MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AOI.

Drivers are updated for GPU, Chipset and SSD. Sometimes when I game in Super People, Warzone or Halo the game just stops. I can control alt delete but when I click task manager it wont pop up. I can hit the Windows key and see it there but anything I click on, well nothing happens it just goes back to the game and the only thing I can do is restart. I use hwinfo64 but I am not able to scroll to check all the temps but when I am able to nothing is higher than what it should be.
Is your bios updated

zx128k

Reputable
Have you checked the GPU driver notes to see if there is a freezing or crashing issue? Basically atm with the latest release, "[Steam version] Forza Horizon 4 may freeze after 15-30 minutes of gameplay." You could have corruption of files as well. If I get freezes in games and CTD. I go right to stablity testing. There is no point fixing corrupt files if you are currently corrupting everything. Normal the GPU driver goes first for me. Reinstalling the driver fixes the problem but it will return if the system is unstable. Also scan and repair the games and see if files are corrupt.

For Windows its
sfc /scannow
, the second this repairs something its time to test the stablity of the system. Also there is
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You have freezes in two games and have to restart the system. So you cannot recover the GPU driver by the looks of it. Its completely crashed. My best guess.

Basically I get freezes like this overclocking both RAM and GPU. With RAM its normally,

Tightening tRFC too much.
Tightening tRDWR_sg/dg/dr/dd too much.
Also which you cannot change tREFI to high. tREFI can corrupt files too which is fun.

GPU overclocking or drivers can cause freezes. CPU overclocks as well.

Video talks about DDR5 XMP issues.

Windows memory diagnostic tool is not the best way to check for memory issue. Prime 95 large FFTs or memtest 5 extreme cfg.

Last edited:

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Have you checked the GPU driver notes to see if there is a freezing or crashing issue? Basically atm with the latest release, "[Steam version] Forza Horizon 4 may freeze after 15-30 minutes of gameplay." You could have corruption of files as well. If I get freezes in games and CTD. I go right to stablity testing. There is no point fixing corrupt files if you are currently corrupting everything. Normal the GPU driver goes first for me. Reinstalling the driver fixes the problem but it will return if the system is unstable. Also scan and repair the games and see if files are corrupt.

For Windows its , the second this repairs something its time to test the stablity of the system. Also there is

You have freezes in two games and have to restart the system. So you cannot recover the GPU driver by the looks of it. Its completely crashed. My best guess.

Basically I get freezes like this overclocking both RAM and GPU. With RAM its normally,

Tightening tRFC too much.
Tightening tRDWR_sg/dg/dr/dd too much.
Also which you cannot change tREFI to high. tREFI can corrupt files too which is fun.

GPU overclocking or drivers can cause freezes. CPU overclocks as well.

OK so I "Overclocked" it to get it to it's advertised speeds which imo should not be an OC. So what you are saying is I need to not use EXPO and let it run at default and see if it still happens?

zx128k

Reputable
OK so I "Overclocked" it to get it to it's advertised speeds which imo should not be an OC. So what you are saying is I need to not use EXPO and let it run at default and see if it still happens?

Sometimes the memory controller doesn't like the XMP settings. It happens. The faster the kit the more likely you can get issues. Some settings work on one cpu and not another. memtest 5 is what I used to test my memory, also prime 95 large ffts. If there is a RAM issue they will help find it. With freezes the problem can have a lot of causes. Both hardware and software. Drivers can very easly cause freezes. Any really bad bug can.