Question Weird GPIO driver version after BIOS update ? texture streaming and aliasing bug in BF2042

Jul 7, 2024
Hello, some days ago I decided to test various old and new BIOS versions for my motherboard, initially, to eliminate screen tearing and hitching issues in BL2 (no physX) and BF2042. The borderlands 2 hitching issue improved somewhat but I introduced other game breaking bugs mentioned in the title. As I updated BIOS to AGESA 1.2.0.7 and later roll backed directly to an older version several times, I believe it changed my base GPIO driver version in windows to 2.2.0.71 which is from 2017. I mean the raw version of GPIO driver (like microsoft basic display adapter for GPU) changed and I don't remember if this raw version is the same that I had after fresh install of windows 10. The thing is , after all this, I clean installed windows 10, but the raw GPIO driver version is same 2.2.0.71 as after BIOS switching. If I am not mistaken this should NOT be the base version of GPIO driver.

Coming to the issue, I think I have messed up my BIOS chip due to which I introduced a horrible texture loading issue and aliasing in BF2042. I am specifically talking about the ground textures and shadow loading in the Redacted map. Even textures of clothes now loads in steps every time in BF2042. As I remember before, the shadows used to load the very first time and then would get saved, And the clothing textures very rarely used to pop in, but not every time as it does now. I play in 1080p with low preset in BF2042. I have tried Latest BIOS (CMOS reset after update) and fresh windows install but the driver version of GPIO remains same. My HDD is not fragmented and has plenty of free space. I have attached the link of image showing the old driver version-
View: https://imgur.com/a/vrXHpB1

My setup-
OS - Windows 10 pro x64 22H2
PSU - CX 550
CPU - R3 3300X
MOTHERBOARD - B450M pro vdh max AGESA 1.2.0.B (tried AGESA 1.2.0.A)
RAM - 16GB Corsair in dual channel
GPU- GTX 1650 4GB DDR6
HDD - WD10EZEX Blue 1TB
OS drive - WD green 240gb

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, some days ago I decided to test various old and new BIOS versions for my motherboard, initially, to eliminate screen tearing and hitching issues in BL2 (no physX) and BF2042. The borderlands 2 hitching issue improved somewhat but I introduced other game breaking bugs mentioned in the title. As I updated BIOS to AGESA 1.2.0.7 and later roll backed directly to an older version several times, I believe it changed my base GPIO driver version in windows to 2.2.0.71 which is from 2017. I mean the raw version of GPIO driver (like microsoft basic display adapter for GPU) changed and I don't remember if this raw version is the same that I had after fresh install of windows 10. The thing is , after all this, I clean installed...

Lutfij

Titan
Coming to the issue, I think I have messed up my BIOS chip due to which I introduced a horrible texture loading issue and aliasing in BF2042.
Reflash the BIOS with the latest version, then clear the CMOS by disconnecting from both the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secconds to drain any residual power then replace the battery after 30mins.

Following that, install the latest AMD chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command. Following that use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command.

Mind sharing a link to your ram kit?

Jul 7, 2024
Coming to the issue, I think I have messed up my BIOS chip due to which I introduced a horrible texture loading issue and aliasing in BF2042.
Reflash the BIOS with the latest version, then clear the CMOS by disconnecting from both the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secconds to drain any residual power then replace the battery after 30mins.

Following that, install the latest AMD chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command. Following that use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command.

Mind sharing a link to your ram kit?
I did what you said, remove the CMOS battery , hold down the power button for 30sec, and I left the CMOS battery out overnight. The BIOS was flashed to the latest version and I turned my PSU switch off and disconnected PC plug from UPS when resetting CMOS. I disconnected the display and unplugged the HDMI cable from GPU. After that I installed chipset drivers from AMD's website, running the exe as administrator. I used DDU and manually installed the Nvidia driver ver 555.99. However, as you know, windows automatically installs chipset drivers which I can"t uninstall using device manager as mentioned by AMD in this post- https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/faqs/CHIPSET-INSTALL.html

Regarding the RAM kit, I used two sticks of corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R with same ver 8.30. I know mixing RAM is not recommended but at the time I purchased the second stick I was unaware of this fact. Earlier I used to try and switch both sticks in the A2 slot and flashing BIOS 7A38vB1 after that and this resolved some issues in past. But after the newer security updates, I doubt this works and it is a hassle to perform the whole procedure.

One last thing I wanted to ask if secure boot can be a culprit of my issue. I deleted secure boot keys and reset to setup mode (secure boot off) but still the bugs don't go away. Can moving between BIOS versions 'mix' the secure boot keys ? If yes, how can I solve it ?

Jul 7, 2024
Hello, some days ago I decided to test various old and new BIOS versions for my motherboard, initially, to eliminate screen tearing and hitching issues in BL2 (no physX) and BF2042. The borderlands 2 hitching issue improved somewhat but I introduced other game breaking bugs mentioned in the title. As I updated BIOS to AGESA 1.2.0.7 and later roll backed directly to an older version several times, I believe it changed my base GPIO driver version in windows to 2.2.0.71 which is from 2017. I mean the raw version of GPIO driver (like microsoft basic display adapter for GPU) changed and I don't remember if this raw version is the same that I had after fresh install of windows 10. The thing is , after all this, I clean installed windows 10, but the raw GPIO driver version is same 2.2.0.71 as after BIOS switching. If I am not mistaken this should NOT be the base version of GPIO driver.

Coming to the issue, I think I have messed up my BIOS chip due to which I introduced a horrible texture loading issue and aliasing in BF2042. I am specifically talking about the ground textures and shadow loading in the Redacted map. Even textures of clothes now loads in steps every time in BF2042. As I remember before, the shadows used to load the very first time and then would get saved, And the clothing textures very rarely used to pop in, but not every time as it does now. I play in 1080p with low preset in BF2042. I have tried Latest BIOS (CMOS reset after update) and fresh windows install but the driver version of GPIO remains same. My HDD is not fragmented and has plenty of free space. I have attached the link of image showing the old driver version-
View: https://imgur.com/a/vrXHpB1

My setup-
OS - Windows 10 pro x64 22H2
PSU - CX 550
CPU - R3 3300X
MOTHERBOARD - B450M pro vdh max AGESA 1.2.0.B (tried AGESA 1.2.0.A)
RAM - 16GB Corsair in dual channel
GPU- GTX 1650 4GB DDR6
HDD - WD10EZEX Blue 1TB
OS drive - WD green 240gb
Issue solved after updating to latest bios with AGESA 1.2.0.Ca and logoFAIL vulnerability (7A38vBM)

Solution