Question Weird GPU problem (no display after bios splash)

zecendia

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
I want to preface this with saying I´m already ordering a new gpu,its moreso that I´m curious about what kinda science is behind this particular problem i suppose.
Essentially what happened is I got a crash mid game a week ago (FFXIV to be specific,i was idling away with lunch for a bit with chrome open) when suddenly a bit after I tabbed back into the game,I had thin vertical stripes all across my screen followed by the pc going into a reboot a bit after.
Now the curious thing started-the Bios splash comes up,but I couldnt enter the boot or bios menu no matter how hard I hit my buttons (keyboard was most definitely on though,lights n all) and the screen loses signal after that,it also seems to just stop the booting process after that point since plugging in my mouse didnt bring up any light that would confirm it being plugged in.
I´m ruling out it being anything but the gpu as the pc starts perfectly fine with my onboard graphics,so I´m just curious what kinda damage couldve suddenly transpired within the gpu to cause it to be fine bringing up the splash screen but just kinda stopping anything after that.
I´ll also mention that there was a warning sign from the gpu about half a hour prior to the full crash with a VERY brief distortion,though I didn´t pay any mind to it.

zecendia

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? Hard to diagnose without knowing what we are working with.
PSU:BeQuiet 530W
Mobo:M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU:AMD FX-6100
Hard drive:WD Red 1 TB (I know,weird choice for a desktop pc,but does the work)
And the gpu that seems to have broken: AMD R9 270

As said,the pc is working perfectly fine with onboard graphics,so I´d doubt it being anything BUT the gpu but yknow.

zecendia

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
I unfortunately cant make any statement on how old the power supply is as I´m currently not in contact with the person I was given it by ,however before I´ve been using it for the past 2 years,as far as I´m aware it shouldnt have been in use much. .For the GPU however,I´m the third person using it and had been using it for one year,it had previously been in another pc for about...3 ? ish years and had been bought second hand from someone else aswell,so the gpu admittably did have quite a number of years on it already.

zecendia

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
The sticker I can see on the PSU fan suggests 2012 as manufacturing year which IS pretty old but the supply also hadn´t been in use for an unknown amount of time when I got it.
I suppose the surefire way of action would be to wait until my new GPU arrives and see how that works out at the end of the day

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The sticker I can see on the PSU fan suggests 2012 as manufacturing year which IS pretty old but the supply also hadn´t been in use for an unknown amount of time when I got it.
I suppose the surefire way of action would be to wait until my new GPU arrives and see how that works out at the end of the day
I would plan on getting a new PSU, sooner rather than later. PSUs can and do fail, especially ones that old. When they die, they often take other components with them.

zecendia

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Update:Yeah putting in the new GPU fixed the problem,I´d still be interested about the intricacies about how it even happened like that with the old one,but oh well.