Question Weird HDD and Enclosures Compatibility ?

Jan 13, 2022
So, I have old 5 years HGST 500 GB 2.5" HDD AND new WD Blue 1TB 2.5". For the enclosures, I have ADATA ED600, Orico 257u3, and Ugreen.

My desktop specification is:
  • Core i5 10400
  • RAM PNY 2x8 GB
  • ASUS GTX 1050 Ti
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B560M Plus
  • Be Quiet! 500W
The problem is, the only enclosure and HDD combination that can works well without problem is Ugreen + WD Blue 1TB. If I change the combination, like: Ugreen+HGST, ADATA+WD, ADATA+HGST, etc, problem always happen.

BUT, this only happen in my desktop, not with my laptop. It doesnt matter what combination I use, they can works well in my laptop

To show what I mean, you can see picture: View: https://imgur.com/a/qIZIh4j

disconnect means: all usb device (mouse, wifi usb, enclosure, keyboard, etc) disconnected for few seconds then reconnect again

freeze means: the drive stuck/hang, cant do anything, cant eject until I unplug the enclosure

stuck sec means: it hang/freeze only for few seconds then back to normal, no impact at all.

Question is: how to fix this problem in my desktop?

What I have done is:
disable usb power saving in device manager and power setting
update usb driver
disable then reenable usb in device manager
update windows

But not one of them work for me.

UPDATE (25/05/2022)

So today I try to use ADATA + HGST (combination that have problems). BUT I enable write caching to windows feature via partition manager. And all problem gone. All normal no disconnect, no stuck, all normal. But transfer speed drop between 30-100mb, not stable.

BUT I dont want to use that settings. I read that if we enable write caching, it can increase data corruption risk for external drive. Thats why I dont want to use that setting.

Question is, why my problem solved after enabling write caching? Any explanation of this? And is there any solution OR other way to solve my issue wthout enabling write cache?

NOTE: Dont recommend me to buy new enclosure again or self power usb hub. No money.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022
So, I have old 5 years HGST 500 GB 2.5" HDD AND new WD Blue 1TB 2.5". For the enclosures, I have ADATA ED600, Orico 257u3, and Ugreen.

My desktop specification is:
  • Core i5 10400
  • RAM PNY 2x8 GB
  • ASUS GTX 1050 Ti
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B560M Plus
  • Be Quiet! 500W
The problem is, the only enclosure and HDD combination that can works well without problem is Ugreen + WD Blue 1TB. If I change the combination, like: Ugreen+HGST, ADATA+WD, ADATA+HGST, etc, problem always happen.

BUT, this only happen in my desktop, not with my laptop. It doesnt matter what combination I use, they can works well in my laptop

To show what I mean, you can see picture: View: https://imgur.com/a/qIZIh4j

disconnect means: all usb device (mouse, wifi usb, enclosure, keyboard, etc) disconnected for few seconds then reconnect again

freeze means: the drive stuck/hang, cant do anything, cant eject until I unplug the enclosure

stuck sec means: it hang/freeze only for few seconds then back to normal, no impact at all.

Question is: how to fix this problem in my desktop?

What I have done is:
disable usb power saving in device manager and power setting
update usb driver
disable then reenable usb in device manager
update windows

But no one of them work for me.
I'm speculating here but there are 2 possible scenarios I see: either there's insufficient power (wattage) available with the usb ports you're using or there's a heat buildup in the enclosure that causes a dropout. Have you tried all of the usb ports available? Since the drives all work well with your laptop insufficient power from desktop usb ports might be more likely. And have you tried running a test with the enclosure covers off? In this case a higher power level in the desktop may result in higher data transfer rates than the laptop leading to overheating. (In my usage I even have a hand held battery operated fan to cool my devices).

Jan 13, 2022
I'm speculating here but there are 2 possible scenarios I see: either there's insufficient power (wattage) available with the usb ports you're using or there's a heat buildup in the enclosure that causes a dropout.

I dont think so, because if there's insufficient power, than it will would happen to all my external hard drive. But the fact is there's no problem when I use WD My Passport 2TB and Ugreen + WD (Green box in my report). And actually, I've try with external drive Hitachi Touro too, and there's no problem at all.

About the heat, it happen at low temprature heat (35C-38C). And tried to running the test with cover off too. No different.

Have you tried all of the usb ports available?
I have try all of them. 2 x 3.2 Gen 1 AND 2 x 3.2 Gen 2.
Except USB 2 ports. Am I need to test it in USB 2 ports?

I dont think so, because if there's insufficient power, than it will happen to all my external hard drive. But the fact is there's no problem when I use WD My Passport 2TB and Ugreen + WD (Green box in my report). And actually, I've try with external drive Hitachi Touro too, and there's no problem at all.

About the heat, it happen at low temprature heat (35C-38C). And tried to running the test with cover off too. No different.

I have try all of them. 2 x 3.2 Gen 1 AND 2 x 3.2 Gen 2.
Except USB 2 ports. Am I need to test it in USB 2 ports?
I don't think the usb 2 ports would make any difference if its not a heat problem. The amount of data into the drives would be less and they would probably run cooler. And they probably won't provide any more power to the drives so if its not a power issue they won't matter. If you wanted to for yourself you could make a comparison chart of the power requirements of each ssd to see if that offer's any clues. Anyway since none of your enclosures work with everything next time you need an enclosure you could try something else. I've been using the Sabrent EC-UASP for awhile (with a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB inside) and I like it since it has a switch to turn it off when I don't need to access it.

Jan 13, 2022
I don't think the usb 2 ports would make any difference if its not a heat problem. The amount of data into the drives would be less and they would probably run cooler. And they probably won't provide any more power to the drives so if its not a power issue they won't matter. If you wanted to for yourself you could make a comparison chart of the power requirements of each ssd to see if that offer's any clues. Anyway since none of your enclosures work with everything next time you need an enclosure you could try something else. I've been using the Sabrent EC-UASP for awhile (with a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB inside) and I like it since it has a switch to turn it off when I don't need to access it.
So today I try to use ADATA + HGST (combination that have problems). BUT I enable write caching to windows feature via partition manager. And all problem gone. All normal no disconnect, no stuck, all normal. But transfer speed drop between 30-100mb, not stable.

BUT I dont want to use that settings. I read that if we enable write caching, it can increase data corruption risk for external drive. Thats why I dont want to use that setting.

Question is, why my problem solved after enabling write caching? Any explanation of this? And is there any solution OR other way to solve my issue wthout enabling write cache?

NOTE: Dont recommend me to buy new enclosure again or self power usb hub. No money.

Write caching itself is not dangerous but you must remember to always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Task Bar without exception. You can not remove a usb drive until you get the little dialog box that says its Safe to Remove Hardware.

Jan 13, 2022
Write caching itself is not dangerous but you must remember to always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the Task Bar without exception. You can not remove a usb drive until you get the little dialog box that says its Safe to Remove Hardware.
If power outage happen, then technically it have same effect like unplug drive without eject. Thats why I cant use it.

Reactions: dwd999