Question Weird issue that I haven't found a single answer for. Need any help I can get.

Jan 13, 2020
So, about a month or two ago my internet would randomly start slowing down A LOT, primarily at night. It's most notable when I'm playing a game like CS:GO, where my ping goes from ~50ms to anywhere from 300 to 900ms, but the issue isn't just with video games. My download speed slows down to around 150 KB/s only on my desktop (which is connected via ethernet to my modem) but does NOT slow down the internet on devices connected to my router. Now, I live in a pretty rural area, so my download speed is, at maximum, ~1 MB/s. Here's the weirdest part, I found out that if I turn off my router, the problem fixes itself. Immediately my ping in games goes back down to normal, and my download speed goes back up too. I have an Actiontec T3200 DSL modem and a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 set up as an access point. I don't know very much about network issues but the fact that it can be fixed by turning off my router leads me to believe it isn't an issue with my ISP and is instead some weird issue with the way I have it all set up. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 13, 2020
I doubt anything has been "compromised", more likely a task has been scheduled. Does this happen at roughly the same of night? What devices are connected to your network? It's not going to take too much activity to congest your poor bandwidth.
It's possible that that's the case. I live in a fairly large household and the only thing I can possibly think of is iPhone automatic backups happening? It doesn't start at the same time every night, but it is only at night, never during the day. It does slow down if everyone (5 other people) are using it at once, but it never spikes like it does at night.