[SOLVED] Weird issue with Ethernet and Wifi

Apr 17, 2022
Okay so just recently, whenever I connect to my wifi or ethernet instead of just displaying the network name, it has a "2" right after it. For example if it was network it's now showing up as network 2. This isn't it however, since this change happened games that I used to get around 30 ping in I now randomly jump to around 500. I've restarted the router and modem, unplugged and replugged things, changed dns settings, etc., but I'm not too tech savvy so I wanted to come on here to ask. Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Solution
So run a constant ping to the router IP. That one should never have a issue. You might see packet loss if you have a bad cable but never delays. If you use wifi it is very common to see ping spikes to the local router.

Generally the ping spike is due to some overloaded connection and data being held in a buffer. Make sure that you are not exceeding your internet capacity. Run with only the 1 machine connected and turn off the wifi to ensure nothing else in your house is using bandwidth. You can check the pc itself with the network tab of the resource monitor. Games use almost no bandwidth but something like windows update running in the back ground will cause all kinds of problems.
It likely is just something stupid with windows and it is just a name and nothing else.

Try IPCONFIG /all

Then ping the gateway IP address.

You should only about 1ms when you are connected via ethernet. Make sure you do not have both the wifi and ethernet connected at the same time.

This is the only thing that will be affected by that name change, it is local to your house.

You can try a ping to 8.8.8.8 to see what the latency is, maybe it is just in games.

Apr 17, 2022
I did that and everything seems fine, I'm just unsure why it's suddenly having such major impacts in different games. Maybe it'll be better by tomorrow, only time will tell. Thanks for your help.

It might be some video driver or something else with the game that got updated.

Games blame network for problems all the time when it is something else.

I would leave a constant ping run a background windows to 8.8.8.8. That way when the game complains you can check if the ping see the problem.

Apr 17, 2022
the constant ping matches with what the game is saying, so I believe it is the network that's the problem. This makes no sense to me lol

So run a constant ping to the router IP. That one should never have a issue. You might see packet loss if you have a bad cable but never delays. If you use wifi it is very common to see ping spikes to the local router.

Generally the ping spike is due to some overloaded connection and data being held in a buffer. Make sure that you are not exceeding your internet capacity. Run with only the 1 machine connected and turn off the wifi to ensure nothing else in your house is using bandwidth. You can check the pc itself with the network tab of the resource monitor. Games use almost no bandwidth but something like windows update running in the back ground will cause all kinds of problems.

Solution