Question Weird issue with Z490 Aorus Ultra - clock speeds are very high all the time ?

Nov 12, 2020
Hi Chaps.

I'm afraid I'm one of those horrible people who buy very complicated and sophisticated kit and have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Anyway, I'm having this issue where all the cores on the CPU are constantly running at the maximum clock speed regardless of the load. I used to own a Z390 and ran that using the auto overclocking software Gigabyte gives you (easytune I think its called) and I basically forgot about it. It was overclocked to 5ghz but only when it actually needed the speed. With this board, if I use the automated software the cpu is oc'd to 5.1/5.2ghz and all the cores are constantly locked at this speed. Even when just sat on the desktop with nothing running.

That would be fine except the temperatures are sitting between 50c and 60c just on the desktop and gets to 70 under load. I have used CPU-Z to stress test and it doesn't go over 71 so I don't think its dangerous for the hardware but it is a bit like sitting next to a airplane about to take off.

I have uninstalled easytune and I'm now using the intel extreme tuning utility so I can set the clockspeed from the desktop, mainly, so I don't go deaf. I currently have it set at 3.6.

My question is: Is there a way to overclock the cpu without it running at that speed at all times? I wondered if there was a setting in the BIOS thats a bit like a "per core" CPU core ratio so all the clock speeds will work independently but I cant find it.

Apologies for being such a massive noob. I am very interested in getting into this overclocking world, but I am still very early on in the journey.

I should say I use a corsair h115i pro and have 5 input and 3 output fans so I don't think its a cooling issue. The CPU is the I9 10850k.

Many thanks for reading.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
50-60C is fine. Intel CPUS can reach up to 100C before throttling, and I'd say up to 80 is fine for daily use. There's no problem there. You might want to set a lower fan curve if it's too loud, but that's what you get with overclocking. You really shouldn't underclock it that much though, the 10850K's base clock is 3.6, so you're not overclocking whatsoever. You should be able to go significantly higher with a 240mm rad, since even at stock settings the 10850K can boost to 5.2GHz. In short, try bumping it up a bit at a time (100MHz), run a stress test, rinse and repeat until it crashes, then take it back down until it's stable.

Nov 12, 2020
Thanks for getting back to me.

I set the core speed at 5ghz and ran the prime 95 torture test for a couple of mins and hit core highs of 100c. Is this too hot?

Nov 12, 2020
Thanks for all your help. I found some other forum posts related to this and updated the bios based on similar issues some other z490 users were describing. Seems to have fixed this issue.