Question Weird issues after power outage

May 31, 2023
Yesterday I had a power outage after a storm, lasting about half a miute or so, which wouldn't be a problem, since I have an uninterruptible psu that usually protects my pc from such things. This time though I didn't have time to even turn it off, the psu beeped as it does usually when the power goes out, and the pc turned off then on, at which point i could turn it off. After the power came back and I could turn it on again everything was fine until i tried to turn my game back on, at the time it was Black Desert Online. The game started normaly, main menu came in, I could select servers, and character, and after that when the game loaded, it it just crashed without any error messages. Since then I tried several games, such as V rising, Age of Empires 2 DE, and Mordhau, and Cyberpunk 2077 each with little bit different issues. V rising had the same as BDO, crashed when loading, no error messages, Mordhau however did give an error message saying "Out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource. Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory, try lowering the resoluiton and/or closing other applications that are running. Exiting...", and lastly AoE2: DE, which runs fine when loading in a game, however any other applications that are running in the background, like Chrome browser or Discord just crash, Chrome popped up with message boxes that the extensions are crashing. This I noticed when I tried to run any other games, Chrome tabs just couldn't load. Cyberpunk 2077 didn't even start, where as before it run smoothly.

So far I tried multiple benchmarks such as 3D Mark, or CineBench r23, which test the gpu and cpu, and all passed without any issues, that's why Mordhau's error message I can't make sense of.
Other than the games, the pc is working fine, I don't get crashes on anything else, but games, Chrome and Discord are running fine on their own, I can watch videos/movies, browse the internet, issues are just with games.

My build:
Motherboard: msi Z490-A PRO
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core i5-11400 2.60 GHz - Cooler: Be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Silver
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
RAM: Kingston 4x4GB DDR4 2400MHz HyperX FURY
PSU: LC Power 650W 80+ Gold Super Silent Modular LC6650M V2.31
Uninterruptible PSU: EATON 5E 850iUSBDIN 480W

Since the benchmarks run through without any issues I think this is some kind of software related issue, but I am not sure about it.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance for taking the time to write!

Solution
I ran disk check as you mentioned, and here are the results. This is the drive (E: ) that has most of my games.
The issue still persists after this, tried launching a game from there, crashed still.

Edit: cannot post the picture as the site says it's spam... But there are no errors there as I can see it.
You can use imgur ect to post images, my theory is that your OS files got slightly corrupted, probably /x86/appData, you can try a fresh windows install but that will take a lot of time and require you to export a lot of files to cloud storage or a usb for safe keeping.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Perhaps try and run DDU and remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers on you platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
Yesterday I had a power outage after a storm, lasting about half a miute or so, which wouldn't be a problem, since I have an uninterruptible psu that usually protects my pc from such things. This time though I didn't have time to even turn it off, the psu beeped as it does usually when the power goes out, and the pc turned off then on, at which point i could turn it off. After the power came back and I could turn it on again everything was fine until i tried to turn my game back on, at the time it was Black Desert Online. The game started normaly, main menu came in, I could select servers, and character, and after that when the game loaded, it it just crashed without any error messages. Since then I tried several games, such as V rising, Age of Empires 2 DE, and Mordhau, and Cyberpunk 2077 each with little bit different issues. V rising had the same as BDO, crashed when loading, no error messages, Mordhau however did give an error message saying "Out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource. Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory, try lowering the resoluiton and/or closing other applications that are running. Exiting...", and lastly AoE2: DE, which runs fine when loading in a game, however any other applications that are running in the background, like Chrome browser or Discord just crash, Chrome popped up with message boxes that the extensions are crashing. This I noticed when I tried to run any other games, Chrome tabs just couldn't load. Cyberpunk 2077 didn't even start, where as before it run smoothly.

So far I tried multiple benchmarks such as 3D Mark, or CineBench r23, which test the gpu and cpu, and all passed without any issues, that's why Mordhau's error message I can't make sense of.
Other than the games, the pc is working fine, I don't get crashes on anything else, but games, Chrome and Discord are running fine on their own, I can watch videos/movies, browse the internet, issues are just with games.

My build:
Motherboard: msi Z490-A PRO
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core i5-11400 2.60 GHz - Cooler: Be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Silver
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
RAM: Kingston 4x4GB DDR4 2400MHz HyperX FURY
PSU: LC Power 650W 80+ Gold Super Silent Modular LC6650M V2.31
Uninterruptible PSU: EATON 5E 850iUSBDIN 480W

Since the benchmarks run through without any issues I think this is some kind of software related issue, but I am not sure about it.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance for taking the time to write!
Try running a disk check to see if there are any issues with your hard drive. You can do this by opening an administrative command prompt and typing chkdsk /r /v. This may take some time to run, so it’s best to plan to run it overnight. Additionally, you could check the Windows Event Viewer for any error logs that might provide more information about what’s causing the crashes.

May 31, 2023
Try running a disk check to see if there are any issues with your hard drive. You can do this by opening an administrative command prompt and typing chkdsk /r /v. This may take some time to run, so it’s best to plan to run it overnight. Additionally, you could check the Windows Event Viewer for any error logs that might provide more information about what’s causing the crashes.

I ran disk check as you mentioned, and here are the results. This is the drive (E: ) that has most of my games.
The issue still persists after this, tried launching a game from there, crashed still.

Edit: cannot post the picture as the site says it's spam... But there are no errors there as I can see it.

May 31, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Perhaps try and run DDU and remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers on you platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Thank you for the welcome!

I tried this previously without running the installer as admin, but I took your advice and tried it this way. I removed the amd adrenalin software, then using DDU i removed the driver completely, then reinstalled it as admin after the restart, tried launching a game, but it still crashed.

Last edited:

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023

You can use imgur ect to post images, my theory is that your OS files got slightly corrupted, probably /x86/appData, you can try a fresh windows install but that will take a lot of time and require you to export a lot of files to cloud storage or a usb for safe keeping.

Solution
May 31, 2023
I think either this or sth similiar was the issue, I reinstalled Windows and it works now. Thank you! <3

Reactions: Anon#1234