[SOLVED] Weird Issues regarding Computer not shutting off/turning on?

SwiftTurtle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
Going to start it off with my build to help fill in some holes.

CPU i9 9900k
COOLER Kraken X62
MOBO z390 Taichi
GPU RTX 2080 EVGA XC
RAM GSKILL Trident Z 3200mhz
PSU EVGA G3 750W
PSU ACCY CABLE MOD CABLES
STORAGE m.2 500gb drive
Case H500i

My issues began after I decided to overclock?
Wasn't too sure if it coincidentally happened because of it, or just the timing.

So I knew my overclock was not stable for because, after 5 Stress tests, It crashed. Same thing when going into high-intensity gaming.

So I overclocked my CPU to 5.1 GHz with I believe a 1.4 voltage.

First time overclocking, to figure out my "STABLE" Voltage, I would run Multicore Enhancement to get an idea on how it would handle the voltage, and then attempt to run it, which ran fine just not under load. So I kicked it back down to 5ghz, with no issues.

The Issue I'm running to is, weirdly, my computer has issues shutting off and turning back on.

If I want to turn the computer off, I have to shut down normally, BUTTTT I cannot turn it back on because the power button is unresponsive. So hey! I decided to try to manually jump it, which i tried, and didn't work. I reseated the Front Panel Plug from the case to the computer, and the computer would just not want to turn on.

Ways I would go around this is, turn the power supply off, disconnect cord, wait a little bit, then keep pushing the power button.

This is a hefty PSU but I don't know what could be the root cause.

Could be from a bad OC, to a bad PSU, to a faulty CASE Front panel plug (i could of just been jumping the wrong thing??? which i doubt), to a bad motherboard.

Unsure, I can still game and everything BUT , i hate the fact that i have to deal with an issue like this.

Let me know if there are any solutions you need me to try.

AS FAR AS CPU TEMPS, I RUN IDLE 32C, I don't think its the processor. She might be a lil toasty, but i dont think thats the root cause.

Video: https://youtu.be/myPHR_HZwQE

Solution
There are two avenues to try. The first is hardware and the second is software. Shutdown of the system is controlled by Windows 10 (assuming that you are not just pressing the power button to turn off the system). So I would suggest updating the motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS. Then reevaluate the problem. If it persists do a fresh install of the operating system.

Are there any error codes on the motherboard diagnostic display OR any lit up system diagnostic LEDs?

Did you determine if the power supply was getting too hot?

Next if the software route didn't fix the problem, then that leaves hardware. First use the power cables that came with the power supply. Then using the manual for the front panel pin out , reinstall the...
Clear the CMOS. that will reset BIOS to the manufacturer default settings. It will also wipe the overclock.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like the power supply is getting got and the thermal protection circuitry is shutting the power supply down until it cools off. You can test this. When the system crashes as you describe, turn the power supply switch off and then depress the power button for 10 seconds or so. Then unplug the PSU, and wait for 30 seconds or so. That should dissipate the capacitors. After that, take the side off of the PC case. Then place your hand near or on the power supply and determine if it is hot. Under normal situations the power supply shouldn't be hot.

This can be caused because the PSU is logged with dust. I can be due to the PSU cooling fan is obstructed. And lastly it can be due to a faulty cooling fan.

What is the CPU temperature under load? Keep an I on the CPU temperatures.

Blow out any dust in the power supply. If the PC case is on a carpeted floor, put it on a hard surface (like a piece of wood). That will allow better air flow into a bottom mounted power supply.

Also once the PC has been under load for a while check the power supply fan operation. If the power supply has a quiet mode the fan will not spin until the power supply reaches a specified temperature. So the only way to check the PSU fan operation is after it has been under a load (for 20 - 30 minutes perhaps longer).

SwiftTurtle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016

I attempted to clear the CMOS, and i successfully did. The issue still occurs, NO OC, stock and clear BIOS.

As Far as the power supply, I honestly do think its the PSU.

This is an entirely new rig, less than two weeks old. I am using cable mod custom sleeved cables, but honestly, I doubt its that because I ensured to chose the specific ones for the proper power supply.

As far as airflow, The PSU is facing downwards to the vent which should be the proper way to get all the air, and it always been on my wooden table.

I'm just kind of confused because I can use this for hours and play for literally all day and night and it wouldn't give me issues UNTIL I tried to turn it off and or back on.

Its never shut off for overheating or crashed for that.

When I did my cinebench run, I think under load I hit 92c, but I kind of expected that with a toasty processor like this. I had done research and that's not too off. I NEVER reach there on a day to day usage, half that if anything.

I'm still under return policy to get it exchanged, I'm hoping a switch of a PSU will solve my issues, but you never know.

What do you think?

Thanks for your response also.

There are two avenues to try. The first is hardware and the second is software. Shutdown of the system is controlled by Windows 10 (assuming that you are not just pressing the power button to turn off the system). So I would suggest updating the motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS. Then reevaluate the problem. If it persists do a fresh install of the operating system.

Are there any error codes on the motherboard diagnostic display OR any lit up system diagnostic LEDs?

Did you determine if the power supply was getting too hot?

Next if the software route didn't fix the problem, then that leaves hardware. First use the power cables that came with the power supply. Then using the manual for the front panel pin out , reinstall the PC case front panel connectors.
Then reevaluate the problem again.

Next breadboard the motherboard to narrow the possible problem components. Use the power button on the motherboard (or short the two power pins on the front panel connector to start the PC).

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2176482/breadboarding-stripping-basics-troubleshooting.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Solution
On another note, I would hurry with these steps. There is a limited time period to return any of theses components. Especially keep an idea on the return period of the motherboard. I would guess that that is prime suspect. If time is running out and the problem hasn't been resolved, the motherboard and maybe the power supply would be possible returns.