Question Weird issues with Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Mobo...

Dec 5, 2021
First off, I been a 'lurker' for a number of years, now I've finally joined! Hello to everybody reading this post. ;)

Here's my problem, my rig comprises of a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Mobo, Intel i7 2700k CPU, 16 Gb ram, a couple of hard drives, Pioneer Blu-ray burner, GTX 980 GPU.
Yes it's around a decade old, but it does everything I need comfortably. In recent weeks I've had boot issues, after switching on it has been very slow to boot windows, sometimes it has shown either a 'no keyboard connected' or no hard drive found!' whilst on the screen prior to windows 10 loading. At times it will not shut down correctly either, the monitor screen will go black but the base unit is still powered up with it's fans spinning.
Thinking the issue was a possible SSD pending failure I re-installed win 10 on a brand-new SSD drive i had lying around, this did not cure the problem. At the time I had two internal 3.5'' drives also connected, I replaced them with a brand new larger capacity HD in case they had any issues, the problem remained.

I reset the BIOS, disconnected the power for a few hours, booted up and every thing was fine again......for a few days, then the problems started again. I went into BIOS to find that only one HD was recognised, it did not show my burner or other drives.
It did show my Canon printer as a hard drive????
I re-booted and again it was slow to load win 10, but my drives show up in Explorer and they can be accessed.
My next step was to replace the CMOS battery with a new one, naturally the BIOS was reset and the PC booted normally, within days the problem arose again.
Thinking the BIOS might be corrupt, I found a later BIOS version on the ASUS website, I re-flashed without an issue, again the problem keeps cropping up.

Last night I switche the PSU (Seasonic Platinum) off before going to bed, thus draining the mobo of power, booted my PC up this morning and it booted perfectly, all drives and burner showing in the BIOS. PC closed down correctly, booted fine later on this morning, came back to it a third time, and I'm back to 'no hard drive found' and a really slow boot up.......I GIVE UP!

Any ideas folks? is there a possible cheap and simple fix? Could it possibly be a dud BIOS chip even though it runs perfectly when it's been starve of electricity for a few hours? Or is the mobo due for a decent burial?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a Maximus III Formula that tends to exhibit the same issue as you've stated but that often gets culled when I reset the CMOS or reflash the BIOS. I've narrowed the issue down to replacing the BIOS chip as it's tell tale that the BIOS chip or the BIOS itself is corrupt. The system I have with the same issue as yours has since been retired and is gathering dust as it's been replaced by a laptop from the office(the rig belongs to my little brother that I'd built for him).

On a side note, what BIOS version are you working with? Windows 10 version? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Please list your specs to the build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Helps us keep track of what you're working with as opposed to reading a wall of text.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Dec 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a Maximus III Formula that tends to exhibit the same issue as you've stated but that often gets culled when I reset the CMOS or reflash the BIOS. I've narrowed the issue down to replacing the BIOS chip as it's tell tale that the BIOS chip or the BIOS itself is corrupt. The system I have with the same issue as yours has since been retired and is gathering dust as it's been replaced by a laptop from the office(the rig belongs to my little brother that I'd built for him).

On a side note, what BIOS version are you working with? Windows 10 version? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Please list your specs to the build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Helps us keep track of what you're working with as opposed to reading a wall of text.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've updated my post with system info.
I'm using BIOS 3603, but I've just found 3604, I'll update it later or tomorrow.
OS - Windows 10 Pro. Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

I did suspect the BIOS chip, but with it re-flashing without issue I assumed (rightly or wrongly) it was alright. But as I stated, it is erratic. Sometimes it boots without issue, another time it hangs just after the BIOS screen appears. I have noticed the hard drive light is fixed on without flickering when it plays up.
So do I gamble on purchasing a new BIOS chip off that well-known auction site or splash the cash on an upgrade?
* EDIT * Just realised there are TWO BIOS chips on my board....