[SOLVED] Weird lag is back again with 4070 Ti and Ryzen 9 7900X ?

Feb 24, 2023
Hello. I have posted about this previously, and I thought that I had fixed it, but it came back today and is still happening frequently even after more than 13 reboots and restarts, and I reinstalled drivers 3 times and still getting lag.
For some reason that I cannot figure out, I am experiencing random lag spikes on my pc.
This happens on pretty much any game. even steam itself.
PUBG, COD Warzone, Minecraft shaders, heck, I even tried roblox and I got lag. It seems that every app that I use is affected by this.

Stuff that I tried so far:
set opengl rendering gpu to the 4070 in the nvidia control panel
downloaded latest nvidia drivers
installed chipset drivers
double checked that the ram was in the right slots
updated the bios (the lag went away for a day, but now it is back.)

cpu temperatures were 40C at idle and 60-70C under load, and gpu was 29C at idle, and 40-70C at load. (the room where my pc is in has a cool temperature)

Specs:
Ryzen 9 7900x
RTX 4070 Ti (MSI ventus OC)
Asus TUF B650 PLUS
Corsair RM850x
Samsung 980 500GB
Crucial DDR5 16gb 4800MHz

CPU cooler is the corsair h150i 360mm radiator
GPU is air cooled.

This is what happens when I try to do anything 3D or even 2D sometimes.
  1. I launch the app or game. (nothing unusual happens)
  2. I use it for around 1-10 minutes. (still nothing unusual, temps are normal, nothing above 70C)
  3. Suddenly out of the blue, I will get random lag spikes (massive frame drops from 200 to 48)
  4. My performance is feeling laggy now.
  5. My performance is normal, and then random massive lag spikes again. (No background processes are running)
  6. 3-6 will continue on forever. sometimes normal perfomance lasts long before another lag spike.
  7. Lag does not happen during loading or anything super hardware intensive, this happens during normal gameplay, EX: walking, jumping, panning the camera, looking around, shooting, dying etc. etc.
What really puzzles me, is that my gpu usage is always below 100%, and cpu usage is always below 20% while temps are also super normal.
Also, lag spikes occur more often with obs on.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have thishttps://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/weird-lag-on-4070-ti-and-ryzen-9-7900x.3798500/

Said the issue was fixed and now its back?

Do you have an UPS or watt meter to see what the power its pulling.

I have a 7900x and 4070TI and ZERO issues rock solid.

Now the 980 is having some older firmware issues are you sure the firmware is updated and you did the SSD scan to make sure the drive don't have bad sectors?

Feb 24, 2023
I have thishttps://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/weird-lag-on-4070-ti-and-ryzen-9-7900x.3798500/

Said the issue was fixed and now its back?

Do you have an UPS or watt meter to see what the power its pulling.

I have a 7900x and 4070TI and ZERO issues rock solid.

Now the 980 is having some older firmware issues are you sure the firmware is updated and you did the SSD scan to make sure the drive don't have bad sectors?
Yes, the bios update worked for a day, then the issues are starting up again. I did do a scan with chkdsk, and it reported no bad sectors. I don't have a power meter, could my power supply be at fault?