Question Weird Low Performance with RTX 2060 Super (GIGABYTE)

Jan 29, 2022
So, i was having "low" performance some games lately, especially in Horizon Zero Dawn (i want to play at 60 fps, it runs at 30~).

I decided to set the graphics quality in the control panel to max performance. It worked when i restarted my pc, i could play it in a satisfying framerate. However, when i turn my pc off, like, i'm going to sleep or something, when i turn it on again, and boot up HZD, it goes back to 30~ fps.

The thing is, in the control panel, the settings still are in max performance, so i had to set another mode, close the panel, open it again, set to max performance, save and restart my pc.

To quick fix it, instead of turning off my computer, i just set it to sleep. It was working. However, I stopped playing a few days ago, and today, when i opened it, it was having low performance again. I repeted what i did, but this time, to no avail.

I also posted this question before in the geforce forums, someone commented that it wasn't possible to have this amazing framerate gains just by setting it to performance mode in the control panel. So in tried to clean install two drivers (472.12 and 511.23), but nothing happened. (472.12 made it kinda worse tho) (I was using 497.29 before them)

Did someone ever have this problem? Nothing is making sense right now with this situation.

FYI, i let the graphics at high settings, 2560x1080 resolution (the ultrawide res isn't the problem in this case.)
Specs:
  • Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce
  • I5 10400F
  • 2x8 gb RAM 2666 mhz
  • Windows 10, recently formatted.
  • Current Driver = 511.23

I would like to point out that, before i found this "quick fix", i tried to connect my pc to my samsung TV. He kinda restarted for no reason. When i opened HZD, the framerate was at 60~. So, something happened when i connected it to the TV, but i have no idea what it did, and how to replicate it. Tried to connect it to my tv today again, but nothing. Same low performance.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Jan 29, 2022
Flash again the bios, this might help. Here is a list with the bios versions https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...060+Super&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Edit: Flashing the GPU bios is pretty straightforward, is not like updating the motherboard bios.

I tried to flash with one of the Windforce OC models, but it didn't work. I went to the gigabyte website to see if there was any bios for my rev, but there was none.
What i did was just to flash the same bios that was already installed. Downloaded DDU, made a clean install with 511.23. Still nothing.

I noticed that, when i open HZD, the opening logo stays at 60 fps. When i set to performance mode in nvidia control panel, it rises to 1000+ fps. I thought that this time it would work. But, nothing.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I tried to flash with one of the Windforce OC models, but it didn't work. I went to the gigabyte website to see if there was any bios for my rev, but there was none.
What i did was just to flash the same bios that was already installed. Downloaded DDU, made a clean install with 511.23. Still nothing.

I noticed that, when i open HZD, the opening logo stays at 60 fps. When i set to performance mode in nvidia control panel, it rises to 1000+ fps. I thought that this time it would work. But, nothing.
That's really weird, I tend to believe there is a problem with the game, and not with your GPU.
Are you running the latest motherboard bios?

Jan 29, 2022
That's really weird, I tend to believe there is a problem with the game, and not with your GPU.
Are you running the latest motherboard bios?

The problem, is that he was running well when i did that quick fix. Nioh 2 also shares the same problem. I saw benchmarks for both games with my graphics card, and they were running really well.
Nope, the current bios is F3, the latest seems to be F5, according to gigabyte website

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
The problem, is that he was running well when i did that quick fix. Nioh 2 also shares the same problem. I saw benchmarks for both games with my graphics card, and they were running really well.
Nope, the current bios is F3, the latest seems to be F5, according to gigabyte website
Try and update the bios and come back with an update, because I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Jan 29, 2022
I've never encountered such problem, so it's a first for me, im trying to think for a solution, the problem exists in other games as well?

Really appreciate the help. The low performance is noticeable in Nioh 2. A benchmark i saw show it running at like, 80fps at high settings, where here, it runs at 40.
I'm also thinking to see if there's anything i missed, any possible driver. I even download driver booster just to check if there could be something that windows update didn't installed.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Really appreciate the help. The low performance is noticeable in Nioh 2. A benchmark i saw show it running at like, 80fps at high settings, where here, it runs at 40.
I'm also thinking to see if there's anything i missed, any possible driver. I even download driver booster just to check if there could be something that windows update didn't installed.
Download MSI Afterburner and Unigine Heaven Benchmark, and try to run the benchmark, and also check the fps and the gpu usage, try to run the benchmark a few times. Maybe after you're doing this, try and undervolt your GPU, this might help.

Jan 29, 2022
Download MSI Afterburner and Unigine Heaven Benchmark, and try to run the benchmark, and also check the fps and the gpu usage, try to run the benchmark a few times. Maybe after you're doing this, try and undervolt your GPU, this might help.

GPU was at 98%, at 82 Cº. Seems high, however, the framerate is already low even when starting a game.
I tried to undervolt, but the framerate was lower.

I could just, format my pc again, but i already did it. Even when playing on a clean install, there was no difference.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
GPU was at 98%, at 82 Cº. Seems high, however, the framerate is already low even when starting a game.
I tried to undervolt, but the framerate was lower.

I could just, format my pc again, but i already did it. Even when playing on a clean install, there was no difference.
The temperature is high, it could throttle, have you ever changed the thermal paste on your GPU?

Jan 29, 2022
The temperature is high, it could throttle, have you ever changed the thermal paste on your GPU?

The problem is that, the framerate is already low even when starting the game. There's no difference with a low or a high temperature. 😕
I even put a fan directly into the gpu, like, a home one, personal use. The temperature lowered, but the performance was the same.

Jan 29, 2022
I would like to point out how i got found that quick fix.
I was having this problem, then i decided to connect my pc directly to my tv (samsung au7700).
For some reason, he kinda restarted? I don't know why. Then, when i opened HZD, it was playing really fine. I thought it could be the monitor. So i decided to connect it back to the monitor. To my surprise, it was working fine.
But it came with a little problem. When i turned it off (only turn off), the low performance came back. I had to go into the control panel, set to performance mode, and restart my pc. Also, my wireless xbox adapter also kinda forgetted my controller, i had to unplug and plug it again, so i can pair it.
The workaround i found was, instead of turning it off, i just suspended it. It would work normally when i did that.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I would like to point out how i got found that quick fix.
I was having this problem, then i decided to connect my pc directly to my tv (samsung au7700).
For some reason, he kinda restarted? I don't know why. Then, when i opened HZD, it was playing really fine. I thought it could be the monitor. So i decided to connect it back to the monitor. To my surprise, it was working fine.
But it came with a little problem. When i turned it off (only turn off), the low performance came back. I had to go into the control panel, set to performance mode, and restart my pc. Also, my wireless xbox adapter also kinda forgetted my controller, i had to unplug and plug it again, so i can pair it.
The workaround i found was, instead of turning it off, i just suspended it. It would work normally when i did that.
That's really strange, I am out of solutions sadly...

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I am also experiencing a problem at the moment, with one of my case fans. It has a strange noise, just like coil whine whenever I play a game and when I'm not playing anything, there is no noise, I even tried different RPMs and nothing, only when I play something...

Jan 29, 2022
That's really strange, I am out of solutions sadly...

I really appreciate your help friend. I was able to fix it, finally! So, i tried a lot of crazy "fixes" i found like, deactivating exploit protection, communication's port. Then i decided to do something different. I opened my pc, removed my vga and put it back again, and switched the ram slots, cause like, i have 4. When i turned it on, and opened HZD, it was running at like, 65+ fps on high settings! Seems that those slots may have a problem on something like that. I hope it doesn't have any problems again.

I am also experiencing a problem at the moment, with one of my case fans. It has a strange noise, just like coil whine whenever I play a game and when I'm not playing anything, there is no noise, I even tried different RPMs and nothing, only when I play something...

I don't know much about problems with fans. They usually just work or don't. It can be something with the cables, maybe the power slot is faulty. If you can, try testing with another pc

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I'm glad you've managed to fix your card, I also had a problem with my RAM sticks, my pc did not boot up sometimes, I would have to remove one stick of ram in order to have my computer running normally. And about the fans, maybe is just coil whine because recently I have this problem in my entire pc. :(