Weird My Computer Problem - Need Experts

I am by no means a novice windows user, but I have come
across a weird problem which I cannot seem to correct. I
have Windows XP Professional. Before my problem, I had
two DVD drives connected (E: and F:) and a CompactFlash
reader (G:). I also had two network drives on other
computers in the menu.(H: and I:) I recently purchased
an external USB CD-RW drive and connected it to the
computer. Windows detected it and installed drivers. At
first, I could not find it on the my computer menu, but
after a little searching, I found it in an unexpected
place. The drive is now H: and its label shows up as a
network drive with the name of the network drive that
used to be H:. It gets grouped in the network drives
category, yet the properties show it as a CD-RW drive. I
have tried to disconnect the network drive, but it does
not work. Is there any way that I can get this drive to
show up as a CD-RW instead of a network drive? Thank you
in advance for your assistance.

"Chris S" <chris@shoemakervillage.org> wrote in message
> I am by no means a novice windows user, but I have come
> across a weird problem which I cannot seem to correct. I
> have Windows XP Professional. Before my problem, I had
> two DVD drives connected (E: and F:) and a CompactFlash
> reader (G:). I also had two network drives on other
> computers in the menu.(H: and I:) I recently purchased
> an external USB CD-RW drive and connected it to the
> computer. Windows detected it and installed drivers. At
> first, I could not find it on the my computer menu, but
> after a little searching, I found it in an unexpected
> place. The drive is now H: and its label shows up as a
> network drive with the name of the network drive that
> used to be H:. It gets grouped in the network drives
> category, yet the properties show it as a CD-RW drive. I
> have tried to disconnect the network drive, but it does
> not work. Is there any way that I can get this drive to
> show up as a CD-RW instead of a network drive? Thank you
> in advance for your assistance.

I don't know if you've tried this or not. Go into "disk management", locate
the drive and change it's drive letter to one that won't conflict. I
recently loaded my new company laptop and after the script to add the
network drives was run my dvd/cd reader didn't show up in my computer. It
was in disk management but it's drive letter was then gone.

JoBo