Weird noise coming from CyberPowerPC Gaming Desktop?

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I have bought this CyberPowerPC gaming pc, it's a second hand desktop, only one owner.

the PC does this weird noise, like it might sound like if there was a cable hitting some fan or something, but through the side panel and looking through top, I don't see any cable hitting on a fan or anything...

Here's a video that could better describe what I'm saying... notice when I hover over my phone on top of the desktop, you can hear the noise more clearly.

Another thing to mention is that the noise is quite subtle, is not loud...

https://vimeo.com/271345123

USAFRet

Titan

So open it up and see where the sound is actually coming from.
Could be a drive, could be a cable hitting a fan, could be a lot of things.

Also, since this is a second hand unit..you did do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and everything else, correct?

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, the sound is constant.... also down here is a second video I go from the top to the computer down to the floor of the computer, the sound is way more clear when I get to the bottom near the GPU, although you mentioned it could be the HDD but I don't know where it is it... It's a 2TB HDD and a 250GB SSD

notice on 0:21 when it's close to the GPU it may seem to intensify the noise, giving away that it might be it... but now you mentioned the HDD and it does sounds like it... but I can't really locate the HDD

https://vimeo.com/271357631

No, my lazy ass didn't do any of that xD although that was the first thing that crossed my mind after buying the computer driving back home

USAFRet

Titan

Without a full wipe and install that you did, you're trusting the previous owner and everyone who ever touched it not to have some malware or other nasties in there.

I've seen second hand PC's, from a supposedly trusted 'friend', with a level of nastiness that extends to "You need to call the police. Right now."

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I feel you, I know, I should have done, it, the dude simply did the windows refresh thing, it comes with, that it does like a reformat, but it only deletes all files and keeps the windows OS intact you know the "cheap deal" you'd suggest to do the legit full reformat, like installing from scratch?

USAFRet

Titan

Full wipe and reinstall.
Delete all partitions, and start with a totally blank drive.

My example above...
Former neighbor, a school teacher.
She got a system from a coworker at the school.
Couple of days of ownership, she asked me to look at it and make sure everything was OK.
About 5 minutes into sniffing around....
hmm...what's this folder?

Ohhhhh.
"I'm done. You need to call the police. Right now."

Some things cannot be unseen.
And I'm not sure if she ever got the PC back, or if the previous owner is out of prison yet.

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Oh wow... in that case.. I'll do that right now... I just wanted to skip the hassle of re-downloading 100GB+ worth of games xD and reinstalling everything from scratch, but if is security we're talking about then, there's no cost for that.

AxDSan92

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Is my life over? it's definitely one of the GPU fans... or maybe even both... however I did a recording where I named each fan by fan #1 and fan #2... fan #1 seems to be doing the same noise but I don't know if it's actually the same noise, or it's picking it up from fan #2...since they are both quite next to each other... and fan #2 is the one making the more of the noise...

the first thing I say is "primer fan" (fan #1) and the second thing I say is "segundo fan" (fan #2)... pay attention to fan #2 and you will hear the sound can be heard more.

https://clyp.it/0wgkl5fl

UP to mention, I also used MSI Afterburner and increased the GPU Fan speed value to 50.. (40 default), noticed no change in the noise... then went to 75, the noise reduced quite a bit... then 100, and the noise was reduced completely...

Additional Note: That's definitely not "Coil Whine"