[SOLVED] Weird partitioning on my boot drive in Disk Management

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
My boot drive has weird partitioning. It is a Samsung 1 TB SSD, but it looks crazy. Any ideas what is going on and how I can fix this? I did a Windows repair earlier which reinstalled Windows.

QNyfKPJ.jpg

Solution
Microsoft have changed where the recovery partition appears on drives now.
Originally it was put in the 1st partition space but on newer installs it now appears after the Windows partition.

The reason for change is that the 1st recovery drive isn't big enough to hold all the info needed for it to do its job, so they started creating multiple recovery partitions, on pre existing installs, so its quite common to have at least 2 of them.

On more recent installs they have moved it and you should only have one.

Recovery partition is special, most partitions can only grow in space if there is unallocated space on drive after it. Recovery can take space from both directions.
So its now created at end of drive and takes whatever it needs...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft have changed where the recovery partition appears on drives now.
Originally it was put in the 1st partition space but on newer installs it now appears after the Windows partition.

The reason for change is that the 1st recovery drive isn't big enough to hold all the info needed for it to do its job, so they started creating multiple recovery partitions, on pre existing installs, so its quite common to have at least 2 of them.

On more recent installs they have moved it and you should only have one.

Recovery partition is special, most partitions can only grow in space if there is unallocated space on drive after it. Recovery can take space from both directions.
So its now created at end of drive and takes whatever it needs off C partition, which in the new win 10 partition plan, is the partition in front of recovery tools partition

The default partition layout for UEFI-based PCs is: a system partition, an MSR, a Windows partition, and a recovery tools partition.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...t-based-hard-drive-partitions?view=windows-11

I have to guess the other ones are from the repair process.
its not worth doing anything now, the amount lost is only 1.5gb at most, if you clean install in future it will fix itself.

Last edited:
Solution