Question Weird power button issue on HP Envy x360 ?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I've been given a HP Envy x360 convertible laptop that won't turn on that a 14 year old has well and truly used and abused, its bent and battered in every way possible.

If I take the motherboard out of the actual laptop it will power on ok
If I screw the motherboard down into the laptop case but leave the corner of the motherboard with the power switch, 3.5mm audio jack and 1 USB port sticking up a little it will power on ok, but as soon as I push that corner of the mobo down into place it will not power on
If I power it on then push that corner down into place it stays on.

so I thought something must be shorting out, so I have covered the underneath of that corner of the motherboard with electrical insulation tape but it still behaves in exactly the same way as above

Any ideas on what could be going on with it?

Thanks

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
The power button is a bit strange, sometimes it seems to be a push and sometimes it seems I have to hold it a little longer, but when the motherboard is completely in the case i have tried pressing it quickly, holding it for a short time, holding it for a long time, all possibilities

When its fully in the case I had no screws in
When it starts up with that side of the motherboard resting on the side of the case (picture 4) I had it powering on with
  • all the screws in the motherboard except the one right near the USB port
  • no screws in at all

I'm wondering if there is damage to a trace on the motherboard that is not visible, maybe internally