Question Weird problem

Oct 18, 2022
Hello people,
I'm experiencing a weird problem , a pc that v built a few weeks ago the specs are:
-MSI h510 ma pro
- i9 11900F
-64go RAM
-MSI RTX3080
-MSI MAG A650BN
it keeps randomly restarting wihtout a BSOD, it can restart after 5 minutes of booting up or after 2 days, the log file when i analyse it with windbg it shows an Nvlddmkm.sys error so I did the usual sfc /scannoww, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, updated the motherboards bios, I changed the power settings , I changed the registery entery for TdrDelay, nothing worked. So I moved on to check out the hardware , I did a memetest on the RAM found 4 errors , Since I had another old pc lying around I took out its RAM and put them in the new pc, the problem didn't get solved the pc still restarts randomly, I figured then it must be a faulty gpu, I used ddu to uninstall the 3080 gpu, took it out and installed a 1660s,, the problem persists. even after changing the PSU the pc keeps restarting, today I changed the cpu took out the i9 11900f and put in an i510400f. So now from the original build I started with I keept only the motherboard and since this restart is random and it can take up to 2 days to showup I can't be sure if its the motherboard or if it the new cpu, if the motherboard works with the 10thgen i5 and doesn't restart does that mean that my 11th gen i9 is faulty or is a compatibility issue ?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Hmm. Well there's quite the difference between and MSI - MEG and and MSI MAG.

The MAG is terrible according to linustechtips forums

While the MEG is tier A, high end according to the psu tier list
  • MSI | MEG AI-P – MPG A1000G / A-GF [11]
Also see the brewing problem with psu power design from Gamer's Nexus. Maybe the odd 'transient spike' is knocking you offline every now and then - the 3060 is lower power draw than the 3080 or 3090. While the 4000 series seems to have stabilized the 'transient' problem somewhat.

So a Corsair tx-650m or Rm850 will be fine.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
two equally cruddy psus might simply replicate the problem - what's the other one? It might only be one of several problems too. The power supply is far too weak for a 3080 anyway.

You just have to get that out of the way to make the picture clearer. Also what version of winders are you using, have the latest updates and drivers installed, clean installed?

64gb of memory is rather excessive- what's the part number? Is it strictly compatible according to the memory support list?

Well you say you have a few bugs and if things are out of recommended specs there may be a correlation.

Can't really say definitively if it's the mobo or anything since the power supply situation isn't clear. Well a power bug might've initially caused data corruption and messed up your windows install, what drive(s) are you using?

Oct 18, 2022
The problem persisted even after a fresh windows instalation that was the first thing I tried., So to be sure that I wasn't replicating the same error, I tested the parts I took out, I run the same PSU and the rtx 3080 2days ago with a gigabyte h410m and the i510400f and everything was working fine .

I need the ram for the sims I run with a 3d app, I put in 2patriot viper steel 32go 3200 (I also tested them on another pc and they worked fine), I swithched the ram too 2 days ago the problem persisted with 2pny 8go 2666.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The model name isn't the part number which needs to be read in the spd tab of cpu-z or hwinfo for example, 'PVS432G320C6K' is one variety of 32gb kit.

So you mixed two memory kits of 32gb rather than 1 full kit of 64gb? That could also be a source of a bug. DDR4 memory kits from the same vendor may be incompatible with each other - some say you can loosen the timings a bit or something but ram timings are very complex.

Switching the memory between different mobos might complicate it more since different mobos can have different memory compatibility lists.

Well it seems like a murky picture to me. The Pny ram might be as incompatible too. 1 not recommended psu, low wattage for a 3080 (even this less stringent than the tier list chart recommends 700w for a 3080 and 750w for a ti). 1 unknown psu.

Testing stuff on different pcs with different stuff that might be compatible with different things is very confusing to my mind.

Oct 18, 2022
ok I got it, the PV is PVS464G320C6K the restart happened with one 32go ram stick (the motherboard limit is 32go per stick).

switching to a known working hardware was the only I could think off to try and eliminate the possibilities lol

before I bought these parts I checked and coolmasters site they have a calculator for wattage and the parts I picked used less than 550

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well here's the memory support list for the MSI h510 ma pro.

10th gen mem cpu support -only 1 32gb patriot kit on it which is 2x16gb

PatriotPSP432G3200KH1DDR43200MHz3200 MHzN/A1.2VSINGLE16GB√ |√

11th gen memory support:

PatriotPSP432G3200KH1DDR43200MHz3200 MHzN/A1.2VSINGLE16GB√ |√

only 1 Patriot 2x16gb kit on it too.

32gb modules are undocumented on it apparently. Ask God.