[SOLVED] Weird ram timing

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Hi I recently overclocked my 2400 2x8 ram to 3200 and tightened up the timings maunally entering 16/17/17/39 and autoing the rest. However when booting and going on CPU-Z I get 16/17/22/39 When i look at other peoples numbers the tRCD and tRP the ones that are 17/22 for me are always the same. Also the tRC (bank cycle time) is 74 clocks is that very high?

I ran the windows ram checker program and everything was ok and benchmarks run ok. Or is this rogue 22 number a problem?

Thanks for any input.

Solution
Okay, userbench, is just that (The key is in the name), a benchmark. Userbecnch is really just a general guide to performance. You need to properly test your ram, to ensure it's stable. Otherwise, you may experience random crashes, BSOD's and possibly some peculiar behaviour.

Yes, those programs I've mentioned have free versions, some with full functionality, others with limited functionality. Running memtest86+ is the easiest way to test. If the ram completes 4 passes of the test, it would generally be considered stable enough.

On the timings/sub timings. The main one that impacts results is CAS or CL, which is the first one. The submitting in between will impact somewhat, but the gains from going from 22 to 17 for your settings...
Hey there,

So, lets start by listing your full PC specs, including ram, CPU, mobo, GPU, PSU etc.

First things first, well done on getting that OC. 2400 - 3200 bump is very difficult to do. Most rated DIMMS, will maybe go one or two straps above stock, 2666, 2733 etc (above 2400). Some will OC more than others, and it depends on a whole load of factors.

You would normally have to increase mem voltage a good sup to hit such high speeds on a mem OC. What have you tested this with? It's great you have them running at that speed, but have you tested for stability? This will be key to any success.

You should test outside of windows with memtest86+ or run something inside windows, like Aida, OCCT, Prime95 blend to see if they are really stable.

Reactions: kingbowcat

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
RX5700XT
Team T253LE240g 240gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CRC 2x8GB DIMM DDR4 @2400 OC to 3200
GA-A320M-S2H-CF Motherboard
EVGA 650w QG- recently updated to cater for my new card after I experienced many crashes with my 550 bronze.

Thanks I am pretty much a noob at pc work too most of the pc was a prebuild hence the wack mobo. I recently upgraded the PSU which was a pain for my new GPU. For the OCing I followed a youtube video on it when I noticed he had very similar BIOS but i have old A320 chip I first tried increasing multiplier and voltage and let it auto the rest. Eventually increased memory voltage to 1.33 (eventually) and multiplier to 32 to get 3200. I benchmarked with userbenchmark.com above and below 1.33 a milivolt at a time to get the best benchmark for memory. Assuming this was the ideal level. Like i said i used the windows program for memory, as well as playing games for a few hours and other bench tests. (no issues)

After this I tried lowering the clock times manually to increase the performance even more. I went from 83% to 113% on userbenchmarks.com and i've seen massive improvements on the various benchmarks ive done. The research ive done says 1.33 voltage is very safe and not much chance of damaging components. I've also seen someone overclock this same ram to well over 4000 stable.

Are the programs: Aida, OCCT, Prime95 free ones? I did get memtest but I dont have a spare pendrive around for it. The windows program went to bios and did a check and that was fine but I read up and it only tests 4 gig of ram when i have 16.

It's just i've always seen the same sequence of numbers for others like 16/17/17/39 even the auto numbers before I changed them manually were 16/17/17/39 with the multiplier and voltage I preselected. Only when i let it boot with the auto numbers CPUZ shows completely different and much higher numbers 18/22/22/22/58. So I went back into bios manually entering 16/17/17/39 and it came out 16/17/22/39. But the performance went up so im happy aslong as there's nothing inherently wrong with the numbers. I must have restarted into BIOS like at least 40 times throughout this slowly increasing/decreasing values. But admittedly it was pretty fun especially getting the results I got. Just hope I don't blow up my PC haha.

Last edited:
Okay, userbench, is just that (The key is in the name), a benchmark. Userbecnch is really just a general guide to performance. You need to properly test your ram, to ensure it's stable. Otherwise, you may experience random crashes, BSOD's and possibly some peculiar behaviour.

Yes, those programs I've mentioned have free versions, some with full functionality, others with limited functionality. Running memtest86+ is the easiest way to test. If the ram completes 4 passes of the test, it would generally be considered stable enough.

On the timings/sub timings. The main one that impacts results is CAS or CL, which is the first one. The submitting in between will impact somewhat, but the gains from going from 22 to 17 for your settings, would yield practically zero performance increase. So i wouldn't worry about that one too much. It might be worth actually setting that one subtiming on auto, and keeping the other manual settings you've put in.

The difference between CAS 16 and 18 however can be big, and hugely increase performance. If you've found a balance at CAS16 with the tmings you've chosen, and it's truly stable (testing your ram properly), then you've done a good job.

This is a great guide for OC'ing, CPU, ram and has lots of relevant info:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

It's great for beginners and more seasoned OC'ers for the do's and don't'

Solution

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I do have a pendrive but it's got the emergency windows reboot on it but I suppose I can re do it after memtest. Thanks for the link I'll have a read through and do the memtest when I get home. I've not noticed any perculier behaviour just improved if anything.

thanks for the help anyway will post the memtest results. If there is an issue will it say what it is?