Weird SATA notebook motherboard connector

daniel.d.ulrich

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Hello! I've tried googling the following question, but I can't think of the best words to describe the connector, so I haven't found any answers. I hope someone here can help!

I have an older Acer TravelMate 8471 Timeline Notebook. I removed the Sata HDD a few years ago and given it away (but it is confirmed to be SATA). Now I wanted to use the notebook again and insert a SSD. However, the connector looks like this:

skYLxIS.jpg

(The grey two-part connector, 15pin 7pin probably.) The open space in the picture has just the right size for a 2.5" drive. It is below a chassis plate which has the anti-spike protection logo - I am pretty confident that this is indeed the slot for the hard drive. Ignore the cables above, they were under the chassis plate as well but are unrelated.

It is possible that the connector is incomplete and I am missing some kind of adapter (which I might have misplaced years ago). However, a google/amazon search only reveals sata-ide, sata-etc. but no "sata-sata" adapters.

Does someone recognize this connector? Can you help me find the missing piece to connect a SSD/HDD 2.5" drive?

Kind regards,
Daniel

daniel.d.ulrich

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks! If I may ask a followup question:

I found quite a few of these interposer adapters (in my language). They all look very, very similar, but have different pricing and claim to be compatible to certain notebooks only. Optically, they have slightly different plastic structure. Are these adapters generally compatible among notebooks of the same manufacturer+model line?