Question Weird sizzling sounds from one of the ports on the side of my laptop

LillyCookie

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Hello everyone, since a few days my laptop has been emitting a sizzling sound whenever the Battle.net Launcher / World of Warcraft is open. I haven't tried it with any other games, but programs like Firefox, Unity, Maya and Steam seem to work without any issue. It doesn't decrease my performance, but the longer I let the affected program run, the louder the noise gets. I'm really at a loss at what to do, and what could be done about it. I've read on USB-C type connectors sizzling when something is plugged in, but I also tried plugging everything off and the same sizzling happens.

The ports on the side the sizzling happens are the power cord, LAN, HDMI, 2 USB ports and a USB-C port.

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire Nitro VN7-592G with a 4K screen, running the pre-installed Windows 10. (CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz with Intel HD Graphics 530, GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Storage: 238GB Hitachi SSD, 931GB Toshiba SATA, 238GB WD external SSD connected via USB-C)

I've been monitoring the temps also, and my Motherboard seems to get very hot (as does the CPU), even with a cooling pad underneath my Laptop. (over 80°C) I've also updated all the drivers.

I hope anyone has an idea what might cause this. Thank you in advance!

StarshipJake

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
I have had a very similar problem on my Acer Aspire 792g, at least I think so, though I described the sound as buzzing that comes from the side of the laptop, although I think in my case it was from the opposite side to the one you speak of. But in case we're talking about the same issue, what seems to have helped me get rid of the sound, was lowering the minimum cpu power usage from default 50% to 10% when the laptop is plugged in on my current power plan.
I've spent a lot of time trying to solve this issue, nothing helped, until I did that one thing. The buzzing has been gone ever since. I was fairly certain that it had something to do with cpu or cpu cooling, because I've checked everything else. So it probably was a coil issue or a cpu fan issue. Hope this turns out to be useful!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS