Question Weird sound coming from computer when moving mouse/dragging youtube videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2020
So i just recently found out this very strange issue, where if i move my mouse, my pc makes this weird static sound. The sound also randomly pops up when idle, and when i'm watching videos/dragging a video time to a place where it hasn't buffered. I've tried to move the mouse to different USB ports, both the case and motherboard ports, and it still makes the sound.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/a1yJRby
here is a link to the sound. Someone please help! I'm worried that his could cause an issue with my hardware.

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
This is called a coil whine, and the most likely component to make this sound is the graphics card.

I can't see it clearly in the video, but I assume you don't use any PSU cable extensions or adapters, do you? Those can cause this issue as well.

You can read about coil whine here:

Unfortunately as the article says, there's no fix for a graphics card making this noise other than replacing it.
It's not likely to break for this reason, though - my old R9-290X card did this for 3 years before I replaced it, since then it's used by a friend of mine, still going strong. He bought a silenced PC case to "fix" it, now it can't be heard unless the room is completely silent at night.

Jan 6, 2020
This is called a coil whine, and the most likely component to make this sound is the graphics card.

I can't see it clearly in the video, but I assume you don't use any PSU cable extensions or adapters, do you? Those can cause this issue as well.

You can read about coil whine here:

Unfortunately as the article says, there's no fix for a graphics card making this noise other than replacing it.
It's not likely to break for this reason, though - my old R9-290X card did this for 3 years before I replaced it, since then it's used by a friend of mine, still going strong. He bought a silenced PC case to "fix" it, now it can't be heard unless the room is completely silent at night.

Hey. I've actually narrowed it down to it being my motherboard. I took a piece of paper and rolled it into a tube, and it is definitely coming from the motherboard. It is really obvious when i booted into bios, as the noise was more prominent and louder. Is it normal for a motherboard to coil whine when idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.