[SOLVED] Weird sound coming out of brand new PSU (not clicking or buzzing)

Solution
Thanks for the reply! Here is the video with that sound when fan is not spinning:
View: https://youtu.be/8JwA1CBzD_M
. What should I do in case of bad fan bearing or a wire brushing a fan?

Hmm, I've noticed it is more noticeable on higher loads, so I guess it indeed must be a fan issue.
I ruled out fan issues if the sound persists when the fans are not spinning. In the event of a wire, it can just be moved away from the fan area, in the event of a bad bearing, you could replace the fan. Both would probably void any warranty, so if you still have one, I would go that route first. If you were to take it apart to inspect the fans, you should also inspect all the capacitors, looking for swelling...

Remeca

Reputable
My first thought when hearing it was bad fan bearing or a wire brushing a fan, but then you updated with information that it happens when the fans aren't spinning. So I would characterize the noise as "chirping" and when I google that in relation to PSU, it looks like that could be caused by a blown capacitor. If you can, I would RMA the PSU.

kriviful

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
My first thought when hearing it was bad fan bearing or a wire brushing a fan, but then you updated with information that it happens when the fans aren't spinning. So I would characterize the noise as "chirping" and when I google that in relation to PSU, it looks like that could be caused by a blown capacitor. If you can, I would RMA the PSU.
Thanks for the reply! Here is the video with that sound when fan is not spinning:

Hmm, I've noticed it is more noticeable on higher loads, so I guess it indeed must be a fan issue.

Last edited:

Remeca

Reputable

I ruled out fan issues if the sound persists when the fans are not spinning. In the event of a wire, it can just be moved away from the fan area, in the event of a bad bearing, you could replace the fan. Both would probably void any warranty, so if you still have one, I would go that route first. If you were to take it apart to inspect the fans, you should also inspect all the capacitors, looking for swelling, leaking or burns. If none is noticable, and replacing the fan doesn't fix the issue, and there is no warranty (assumed after you open it up) then I would replace the entire unit. If it is a bad capacitor and it is apparent which one, if you have the technical knowledge it is possible to find a replacement and replace it yourself. If you don't, it is not advisable to muck about in the PSU.

Reactions: kriviful
Solution

kriviful

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I ruled out fan issues if the sound persists when the fans are not spinning. In the event of a wire, it can just be moved away from the fan area, in the event of a bad bearing, you could replace the fan. Both would probably void any warranty, so if you still have one, I would go that route first. If you were to take it apart to inspect the fans, you should also inspect all the capacitors, looking for swelling, leaking or burns. If none is noticable, and replacing the fan doesn't fix the issue, and there is no warranty (assumed after you open it up) then I would replace the entire unit. If it is a bad capacitor and it is apparent which one, if you have the technical knowledge it is possible to find a replacement and replace it yourself. If you don't, it is not advisable to muck about in the PSU.
Well since I've bought it last week it is still under warranty, so I will send it to the store. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Remeca