Question Weird startup behaviour of PC

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have been facing quite a strange issue with my pc.Sometimes,it only starts up(during cold boot)when i long press the power button on the cabinet.When i do that,the mobo power cycles once then starts loading windows.And as long as its operational,it functions flawlessly with no crashes/freezes etc.

I initially thought the problem might be motherboard related,so i updated the bios but it couldn't resolve the issue.My next suspect was the ram-so i ran memtest but it wasn't able to detect any faults either.

So is the PSU the most likely culprit? This PSU was rma'd once in 2019 as it was randomly causing the pc to turn off.I had a different motherboard back then.

What can i do to resolve this matter?Please advice.

Specs: 10400F,b460 GB mobo,Corsair Txm 550,8+8 gb ddr4 ram,zotac 1060 .

Lutfij

Titan
I think more than the PSU, the wiring in your house might be sub par or faulty. Can you see if relocating the system to another wall socket in your house changes your experience? Also, if the PSU is about 2 years old, you should still have necessary power for the entire build. Try seeing if disabling C6 and C7 power states in BIOS changes your experience.

Which BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
It had occurred to me that the wiring might be faulty,but i have 2 other pcs (one from the core 2 duo era with a corsair VS450 and another relatively new,powered by an i5 with a txm 750 psu)in the same room that are drawing power from the same outlet but are working just fine with no issues during startup.

The problem with this particular setup existed right from the day it was put together-earlier it occurred sporadically but its frequency has increased a lot in recent times.

Can a bad power button on the cabinet or a even a bad psu power cord trigger such issues?

The bios version that i am using is F4.I will see if there's any option to disable the c6 and c7 states in the bios-could disabling them cause any malfunctioning of the psu and/or mobo? AFAIK the psu that i have is haswell ready,so it should support the haswell sleep states ie c6 ,c7 right?

Last edited: