[SOLVED] Weird texture pop in with NVMe M.2 SSD ?

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Hello, I recently bought a M.2 NVMe drive for faster storage and just for more storage in general. It runs pretty good and fast but my only issue with it is games that are installed on it experience really bad texture pop in and very low LOD issues. Weirdly enough I've installed the games with these issues on my slower drives (SATA SSD and 7.2k RPM HDD) with the same graphics settings and the issue doesn't happen at all on them, so I've been able to dial the issue down to the NVME drive. The problem is I don't know how to fix it and why this would be happening in the first place.

I've done speed tests and the drive seems to run okay and at the speeds its advertised so it doesn't seem to be a faulty model at all so I'm wondering if its just an issue with the games I'm playing and their compatibility with it or there is just a setting or two on my drive that I don't have enabled that's letting this happen.

The games I've experienced these issues on are GTA V, COD titles such as BO2, BO1, and MW2019, and Fallout 4

PC SPECS:
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GTX 1660Ti
  • ASRock B450M Pro4
  • 3200Mhz DDR4 memory
  • Corsair RM550x
  • WD Blue 1TB 7.2k RPM
  • Samsung EVO 860 1TB
  • WD Blue SN550 NVMe 1TB

Solution
I suspect that with the problem being exclusive to the NVMe and occurring only in certain games then there could be a specific configuration issue.

And goes deeper down into the hardware specs (especially with respect to gaming) and generally out of my comfort zone.

Just as a general reference:

https://www.technipages.com/pcie-lanes-explained

You can easily google for similar links and explanations.

That said, I am going to move your thread from Storage to PC Gaming.

I think that PC Gaming is a more applicable category and more likely that someone who watches your game videos will be able to offer further suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
Go beyond speed tests.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observes system performance while using different drives and playing the games where/when the texture pops, etc. occur.

(Note: Use both tools to observe but only use one at a time.)

Get a sense of what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

You may discover something that occurs when the problems begin.

= = = =

How old is that Corsair 550 watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video work, or even mining?

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Go beyond speed tests.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observes system performance while using different drives and playing the games where/when the texture pops, etc. occur.

(Note: Use both tools to observe but only use one at a time.)

Get a sense of what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

You may discover something that occurs when the problems begin.

= = = =

How old is that Corsair 550 watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video work, or even mining?
The PSU is relatively new, about 3 - 4 months old now, do you think its a bad quality PSU?

I have monitored the drive while playing and don't really notice anything odd, the temps are a little high - 45 c - but I've never seen them go any higher than 50 and people are saying that NVMe drives do get quite hotter than HDDs and SSDs so I don't really think those are concerning temps. Usage seems normal, I'm not really familiar with how they work, but usually while playing the usage is 0 - 5% and when loading into a new map it'll spike up to 25 -30% which seems pretty normal, don't really notice any spikes or anything when being near a glitched texture.

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
What games are you playing?

Try to record those "texture pops" and post herein via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Someone may recognize what is happening.
The games the pops happen in is the COD titles I mentioned in the original post and GTA V. The other games I play which are Fallout 4 and Destiny 2 don't experience pop in issues and mostly experience very poor LOD issues

Texture pop in - View: https://imgur.com/a/mRllHAt

Poor LOD - View: https://imgur.com/a/V5Gpb7g
(Look how close I have to be for the texture of the bus to load in)

Both games tested on COD BO2 as that is the easiest game that I can recreate the issues with.

None of this happens at all on my other drives and these issues only occur when the games are installed on my NVMe.

Ralston18

Titan
I suspect that with the problem being exclusive to the NVMe and occurring only in certain games then there could be a specific configuration issue.

And goes deeper down into the hardware specs (especially with respect to gaming) and generally out of my comfort zone.

Just as a general reference:

https://www.technipages.com/pcie-lanes-explained

You can easily google for similar links and explanations.

That said, I am going to move your thread from Storage to PC Gaming.

I think that PC Gaming is a more applicable category and more likely that someone who watches your game videos will be able to offer further suggestions.

Solution