Weirdest problem ever, PC works but shop but doesn't work in my house

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
OK I had a problem of the PC not starting up, tried all the POST n bread boarding and no help. Four days of experiementing and gave up.

I took it to the PC store (pay him to check it out approx US$20), it works perfectly.

He restarts it again to show me because I couldn't believe my eyes.

I take it back home and same problem it doesn't work.

It will power on for a few seconds and I hear a click from the PSU and it goes off. Then I try again and no movement at all. Wait a few minuted and power up and again powers on for a few seconds and click and everything off.

I am thinking its an electrical problem coming from my electrical sockets.

(its the same problem I had in the first place and reason i took the PC to the store)

specs of PC are as follows:
Windows 7 Ultimate
ASRock 770 Extreme 3
Gigabyte HD 6850
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
A-Data Gaming Series DDR3 2GB x2
Western Digital 640 GB HD
Antec Earthwatts 650W

I think my wall outlet isn't giving power to my PC is this a possibility? I try and even power the plug directly to the wall socket to no avail same problem and it gives me 5 seconds at max.

Any suggestions would really help...

Thanks

Edit: The PC has been working well since December 2010. New editions are a Dell 27" monitor (although it did work with the monitor for about a month) , i have tried connecting the PC and monitor to different power extensions as well but no difference.

Really need somehelp as I have no clue what to do.

Reactions: abhirajsr

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Modern PSU's test their voltages with the motherboard when they startup. If the voltage isnt clean enough, it will turn back off. This sounds like what you are experiencing. The voltage in your house/area may not be of sufficient grade to pass the power on self test. It may be good enough at times and it runs this test at startup only. A good UPS may fix this if the voltage is dipping/drooping, but too high of a voltage can do this too. Surge protectors do not protect from slightly high voltages, just large enough increases. Your power supply like most others out there is trying to keep the computer from killing itself. Or I should say likely. I have seen failed motherboards do this because their VRM's are failing and cant give the proper voltage needed either, and this can be intermittent enough to cause the problem. Only other thing I think it might be is a grounding problem that exists at your place and not elsewhere. Could not be receiving a proper ground signal and wont post intermittently. Good luck. If you are in a flat, you might be able to check with your landlord and have them send an electrician to test the wiring, it should be relatively inexpensive and COULD even save your life or at the minimum, your electronics. Dont literally play with fire.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
ok... I have got a power supply tester from a friend and have tried it with my PC.

readings are quite spot on target except for the -12V which is a bit high 12.7-12.8? It doesn't show the HH nor beep but from the readings only this deviates from the standard.

Does this affect from what Voltage comes into my flat?

Sorry, power is something I do not know anything about.

abhirajsr

Reputable
Nov 15, 2020
I have the same problem! Only difference is my PC won't boot at all. No lights or fans.

It worked normal and one morning I tried starting it and it doesn't work. I tried many plugs in my house. My neighbours house, and changed psu.

I took it to the shop and it worked absolutely fine everytime they turn it on. Took it back and it worked fine at my house. After 2 days another morning it doesn't work at all ! Took it to the shop, works fine. (Tried another shop too. worked there too) .They tested motherboard. No issues.

Really frustrated because can't find the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.