[SOLVED] "Welcome to Mail" dialogue box mystery

Jan 27, 2022
Hi - Sorry for asking such a basic question, but here goes: when wanting to email an online store, I'm often presented with a "Welcome to Mail" dialogue box. The only option available to me is to click "Add account" which presents a menu listing various accounts. The only one relevant for my needs is Google. So I click that. . . which then asks me to sign in (I think) to Google? Whatever, I'm already signed in to Google. So why do I have to create a new (Google?) account. . . just so that I can send an email to a given online store? The whole exercise seems pointless somehow. So any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You might be clicking on a link on a website that is trying to open your default "mail" program, or performing some action that is doing this (these links are called "mailto:" links). Many people don't use mail programs any more, they either just use webmail or their phones. If that's the case with you, then your computer doesn't know how to handle a "mailto:" link

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: KGKF
Microsoft Mail (the email client) can work with many email providers, GMail included. So, what you say as "New account" relates to "New account usable with Microsoft mail", not a "New email account with Google".

So try the following: Start Microsoft mail, and your existing GMail account, you will see all your emails. Next time you click on "Send an email" from web page, MS Mail will open a window to write your email.

Jan 27, 2022
Second thoughts: I don't have a Microsoft Mail Account (and I've no intentions of getting one). So why is MS placing this interface before me when I'm online; that's to say: when I'm dealing with an online store (say) on Google, with Chrome serving as my primary email account? In other words, what has any of this got to do with Microsoft?

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
You might be clicking on a link on a website that is trying to open your default "mail" program, or performing some action that is doing this (these links are called "mailto:" links). Many people don't use mail programs any more, they either just use webmail or their phones. If that's the case with you, then your computer doesn't know how to handle a "mailto:" link

Solution
Jan 27, 2022
Hmm, it could be. Well, it just so happens that my laptop is due for a refurb at our local PC clinic later this week. I'll see what they have to say about the matter, and better still hope they can teach the laptop to handle these "mailto" links. I just want this interface out of my life, period.

Thanks for your input, by the way - much appreciated.