Info Welcome to the Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 29, 2020
Which card is better for Folding, GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670? Can find either used for $50-75.
I know neither of these cards is that efficient compared to a GTX 2070, but my system is too old to upgrade to anything newer (HP with a legacy BIOS).

Which card is better for Folding, GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670? Can find either used for $50-75.
I know neither of these cards is that efficient compared to a GTX 2070, but my system is too old to upgrade to anything newer (HP with a legacy BIOS).

If memory serves right, the 670 was a little bit faster than the 660 ti but the 670 used little bit more power to reach that speed. So power efficiency should be about the same between the two when folding.

Looks like there's a new F@H client out now. Probably the biggest thing that most people would be interested in is the option to select "Covid 19" research now.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34466

"
Please note that there's a new stable version of the client that is available now! Version 7.6.9 can be downloaded from here:
https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/
https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

This is not a compulsory upgrade but you can at your discretion. It would be ideal if you could finish folding the assigned WUs before upgrading the client. Please note that the folding performance will not be changes by this version since there is no change in the version of FahCore. FahCore is the software component which does the folding (analysis) of the WU.

The new version allows the donor to express their preference to fold COVID-19 WUs.
FAHViewer has undergone significant changes.
Other issues (bug fixes/security) were resolved.
"

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24
Mar 29, 2020
World Community Grid added Pandemic research. Do we have a team?
Finally got my GTX 680 and new power supply installed.

Yes lots of people bailing out.
We picked up about 4500 new team members when this corona virus madness started.
Which was great. But as always we pick up a few dedicated folder who stick with it for the long haul.
We are down to 1372 active folders as of the last update. Down another 55.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?t=40051
The good news is it appears we picked up quite a few dedicated folders this time around.
I used to be around 5th place for daily points. Now I am around 40th place with the same 1.2- 1.4 million ppd average.

Wohoooo GO TEAM
Thank you all for folding!!!!!!:love:

Last edited:
Reactions: EndEffeKt_24

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Perhaps instead of sadly, we can look at as a plus- we don't dilute our compute time across multiple projects.
though it can be disheartening to see the don't seem to be as competitive as we were, and I seem to be going nowhere but backwards even, as I don't have a lot of hardware to throw at it..

I believe EXT64 does work for them .
He is not around the forums much so a PM might be your best shot.
And sadly we only have a folding@home team.

Perhaps instead of sadly, we can look at as a plus- we don't dilute our compute time across multiple projects.
though it can be disheartening to see the don't seem to be as competitive as we were, and I seem to be going nowhere but backwards even, as I don't have a lot of hardware to throw at it..
It is not how much you give, just the fact that you give that matters.
Years ago when Folding started I was not able to dedicate higher end hardware to folding. So I folded with what I had. Took days to get 1 point folding on a slow CPU.
Now my home is paid for, our rental cottage is paid for and I am debt free except for taxes. So I have more disposable income. Still a cheap frugal bastard rocking 1070s on Phenom X6 CPUs.
Our team lost another 143 people today. At this trend we will be back to 43 active members in just a couple months.
So hang in there I know how you feel. I had finally broke into the top 500 folders, now I am back to 554 and falling.
But the science is what counts, not my personal feelings or ego.
We do it for humanities sake not our own glory.
Thank you for folding, as I know you are a long time folder, so forget about the points, and all of the high end hardware new folders are throwing at it and be happy that you are giving what you can.
Rick

Reactions: yngwie98
Hello all!

This is one of the first forums I have ever joined; I prefer to observe rather than post because people can be so immature and confrontational online. I just wanted to give a shout out to Tom's Hardware in general and to the dedicated folders on this team. I feel like there is a good community here which stands in deep contrast to so many other forums.

I built my first PC a year ago and made several hardware choices based on reviews I read here on Tom's Hardware. Still my favorite PC magazine by the way. I started folding in mid-February and now I'm hooked. I initially started my own team, but then I felt like giving back a little so now I'm part of team 40051! I have seen just how quickly the team has gained and lost active folders in the last two months; as a matter of fact, Team AWSFolds should be passing us up in just a few hours. It too bad to see people losing interest, but I just cracked the top 50 folders of the team today and I plan on sticking around for a while!

I look forward to learning from the veterans on here and being a part of the team!

Hello all!

This is one of the first forums I have ever joined; I prefer to observe rather than post because people can be so immature and confrontational online. I just wanted to give a shout out to Tom's Hardware in general and to the dedicated folders on this team. I feel like there is a good community here which stands in deep contrast to so many other forums.

I built my first PC a year ago and made several hardware choices based on reviews I read here on Tom's Hardware. Still my favorite PC magazine by the way. I started folding in mid-February and now I'm hooked. I initially started my own team, but then I felt like giving back a little so now I'm part of team 40051! I have seen just how quickly the team has gained and lost active folders in the last two months; as a matter of fact, Team AWSFolds should be passing us up in just a few hours. It too bad to see people losing interest, but I just cracked the top 50 folders of the team today and I plan on sticking around for a while!

I look forward to learning from the veterans on here and being a part of the team!
Thanks for Folding and joining!!
We have always been a smaller dedicated set of folders.
Between the interest in a cure for cv19 and news exposure about a race with Anand Tech a sister site we got a huge influx of new folders this year.
Many more this year than usual. It is a cyclical trend.
But this year the dedicated folder count is holding for much longer.
Once again thanks you all for Folding. Hopefully we can make a difference!!!:)

Jun 10, 2020
Hi folks, new to the forums, visited the site sporadically over the years, super useful resource! Joined the FAH team running on my trusty Thinkpad. I have several mobile devices I don't really do anything with, does anyone know of a way to fold on Android?

Hi folks, new to the forums, visited the site sporadically over the years, super useful resource! Joined the FAH team running on my trusty Thinkpad. I have several mobile devices I don't really do anything with, does anyone know of a way to fold on Android?
Not that I am aware of .
Sony did one a few years back for android, but I do not know if it is still supported.

Mar 29, 2020
Not that I am aware of .
Sony did one a few years back for android, but I do not know if it is still supported.
There was a Folding app built into the PS3, Life with PlayStation, but it shut down in October 2012. Not sure if any mobile devices would be powerful enough for Folding unless they had WU specifically designed to run on mobile processors.

With summer arriving, I had to stop Folding as my computer kicks out too much heat. Even running BOINC at 100% CPU usage doesn't kick out as much heat. Though I don't run any BOINC projects that use the GPU.

SirDave82

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
In February, I rebuilt some computers that were tossed aside by our CPAs across the hall, most of which still clock 3GHz. Installed F@H and have been running 24/7 ever since. 7 clients running, and I wish I had more to rebuild or at least some supported graphics cards for them.

Reactions: yngwie98
In February, I rebuilt some computers that were tossed aside by our CPAs across the hall, most of which still clock 3GHz. Installed F@H and have been running 24/7 ever since. 7 clients running, and I wish I had more to rebuild or at least some supported graphics cards for them.
Welcome to the team and THANKS for FOLDING.
Everything helps in the long run, so keep doing what you can when you can.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
WOW, it has been a LONG time since I was here last. F@H popped in my head this morning and I thought I'd check it out.

So happy to see it's crushing away better than ever and on COVID 19 now too!

I installed the app on my work iMac 27-inch, Late 2015

4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

Running at Full CPU:8 it looks like I can get 50k points per day.
running on Light CPU:3 it looks to be about 30k points. (but that might be less as I only ran it on there for 10-15 min while I was on a call... FAN is LOUD)

QUESTION:
Do I want to try the GPU thing? or am I best to stick with the CPU?

Any other suggestions for Mac users?

WOW, it has been a LONG time since I was here last. F@H popped in my head this morning and I thought I'd check it out.

4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

running on Light CPU:3 it looks to be about 30k points. (but that might be less as I only ran it on there for 10-15 min while I was on a call... FAN is LOUD)

QUESTION:

Welcome back!

I don't know how long its been since you've folded (I've only been at it since March 2020) but these days if you want to earn points, you fold exclusively with GPUs; people who don't have a GPU fold with their CPU because that's what they've got.

In your case you would probably want to fold with your GPU exclusively, although due to its age it will net you significantly less PPD than modern hardware.

I'm running a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2080 at the same time in the same tower and currently getting 1.6 million PPD with the 2060 and 2.8 million PPD with the 2080. I don't run it regularly, but as a comparison point, the entry-level GTX 1650 Max-Q in my laptop nets around 300K PPD.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Last edited:

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Well, I ran it all night. collected a few WU (maybe 4?)
I didn't take note of the points I had previously so I'm not sure how many I just earned. 15,000? I'm not sure.

Suffice to say, I don't know if this is worth the trouble. 1 computer can generate 300k – 3M while I'm here with 7-8 CPUs and can only get supposedly as much as 50k.

As long as science is getting done, its not the points that matter, its that you are contributing to something bigger than yourself and are willing to enable that difference even when your contributions don't feel like they make a very big difference.

Check this out: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=40051

This is the Tom's Hardware folding stats page. As of this writing, there are 889 active folders; only 47 are earning more than a million points per day whereas almost half of these earn less than 15k points a day. It is because of everyone who folds that we are slowly catching up to other folding teams.

You can find your name in the team users list and then keep track of how many points you earn every three hours/daily/weekly/monthly. The site has all kinds of stuff that make folding more interesting and involving; you should check it out.

4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

QUESTION:

Welcome back to folding!!!
Thanks for your contributions.
There are lots of ways to fold.
Some members fold one work unit per day. But when thousands of people do it, it really adds up to a lot of work.
You can set the CPU to 2 -4-6-8 cores. Some work units will run on odd number of cores but not all.
Get your pass key and after 10 good work units you will receive bonus points, most times double or more of base points.
Boot to a linux thumb drive and run it on the video card overnight.
There are many ways to give if that is what you wish to do !!!!!
Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
Rick

Does anyone know how WUs get dispatched? I have 3 machines running pretty much 24/7 since March or April; each is either my current main rig or my past main rig. I have them set up to not use up too much power (downclocking + undervolting) but still have some oomph. Here goes:
  • Athlon II X4 620 @2.00GHz, 4 cores enabled + 6Mb L3 cache enabled. PPD 6.5K (old old rig, used as media center once a day)
  • Core i5 4670K @2.4 GHz, 4 cores enabled. PPD 28K (old rig, shoebox headless PC)
  • Ryzen R7 2700X@3.2GHz, 15 threads enabled. PPD 75K (main rig)
All 3 are running Ubuntu 20.04 and the Linux F@H 7.6.13 64-bit client.
I'm wondering how come there is so much difference between the X4 and the others (in theory it should be half the speed of the i5; it's 1/5th). Could it be SSE4?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how WUs get dispatched? I have 3 machines running pretty much 24/7 since March or April; each is either my current main rig or my past main rig. I have them set up to not use up too much power (downclocking + undervolting) but still have some oomph. Here goes:
  • Athlon II X4 620 @2.00GHz, 4 cores enabled + 6Mb L3 cache enabled. PPD 6.5K (old old rig, used as media center once a day)
  • Core i5 4670K @2.4 GHz, 4 cores enabled. PPD 28K (old rig, shoebox headless PC)
  • Ryzen R7 2700X@3.2GHz, 15 threads enabled. PPD 75K (main rig)
All 3 are running Ubuntu 20.04 and the Linux F@H 7.6.13 64-bit client.
I'm wondering how come there is so much difference between the X4 and the others (in theory it should be half the speed of the i5; it's 1/5th). Could it be SSE4?

Bonus points aren't assigned linearly, they increase exponentially the faster you can return a work unit. For example, my RTX 2080 is only around 50% faster than my RTX 2060, but when folding, it earns 60-70% more points.

Your AMD X4 CPU is significantly inferior to your core i5; its a 45 nm CPU from AMD first available in 2009 vs a 22 nm CPU from Intel first available in 2013. There are enough differences between these two CPUs to fill up a book, so I wont bother getting into it, but simply put, there is no way your X4 CPU should be getting anywhere near half as many points as your 4670k.